very strange ASP / VB dll behavior

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Michael Bosco, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Hi. I am fairly new to ASP. I have to build a website in ASP 3 that
    interfaces with VB 6 dll's. I've noticed some strange behavior, so I
    devised the following tests. Here's my test VB 6 function...

    Public Function ReturnGivenBool(blnReturn As Boolean) As Boolean
    ReturnGivenBool = blnReturn
    End Function

    All it does is return the boolean value it receives.

    The following call works, it returns True (I'm logging all this stuff
    in the event viewer)...
    blnIn = true
    objTest.ReturnGivenBool (blnIn)

    Problem #1
    However if I want to print the return to the webpage...

    <% blnIn = true %>
    <%= objTest.ReturnGivenBool (blnIn) %>

    I get the ASP error: "Type mismatch: objTest.ReturnGivenBool". Why
    would it work in one instance but not the other?

    While trying to get around this problem, I discovered...

    objTest.ReturnGivenBool (blnIn) (variable input param, do not save
    return value) works...
    blnReturnCode = objTest.ReturnGivenBool (true) (hardcode input param,
    save return value) also works, but combining them...

    blnReturnCode = objTest.ReturnGivenBool(blnIn) (variable input param
    and save return value) gives me the same type mismatch error I got
    above.

    Does this make sense to anyone?? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Michael Bosco, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Michael Bosco

    Alex Kail Guest

    Wrap a CBool around the blnIn variable, like this...

    <% blnIn = true %>
    <%= objTest.ReturnGivenBool (CBool(blnIn)) %>

    Remember, everything is a variant in ASP. ReturnGivenBool expects a
    boolean variable, even though you are setting blnIn = True, it is
    still a variant, until you use CBool, which will push it in as a
    boolean.

    I hope this helps.
    Alex Kail

    Alex Kail, Jul 14, 2004