Very strange J2ME problem - PLEASE, PLEASE HELP

cpptutor2000

Could some Java guru please help me ? I am trying to create a simple
J2ME audio application. I am using the following parameters:
encoding : pcm
rate : 16000
bits : 16
endian : little
channels : 1
signed : signed

The data is collected into a ByteArrayInputStream, and when recording
stops, the contents are transferred to a byte array.

If I examine the contents of the byte array (before any processing of
the data), I find a few large numbers at the start, followed by a huge
sequence of zeros, before I see any non-zero bytes. In addition, each
of the non-zero bytes have a zero byte in between.

I am using a software tone generator with frequency set at 500.0 Hz. I
start the tone generator before I start the J2ME application. I am
using Sun's WTK 2.2.

Any hints or suggestions would be extremely helpful, as I am fairly
clueless as to what the problem might be. Thanks in advance for your
help.