Very Strange Problem! (Derived Controls) - Help!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Sosh, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Sosh

    Sosh Guest

    Hi,

    I'm pulling my hair out trying to work this out. Pehaps I am
    missunderstanding something - hopefully someone can shed some light on this:

    1) I have a class library that contains a bunch of custom web controls. Two
    of these controls are derived from the TextBox control, and overide the
    onLoad method in order to add some client side attributes, eg:

    namespace SomeControls{

    public class Control1 : System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox

    {
    public Control1 ()

    this.Attributes["onblur"] = "some javascript";
    base.OnLoad(e);

    AND.........

    namespace SomeControls{

    public class Control2 : System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox

    {
    public Control2 ()

    this.Attributes["onfocus"] = "some other javascript";
    base.OnLoad(e);

    2) I have a some user controls, that contain the custom controls, which are
    added Declaratively

    3) I Dynamically load one of the user controls into my page depending on
    certain factors.

    My problem is this: When the page is rendered, some of the custom controls
    are rendered incorrectly - they seem to be taking elements from each of the
    controls that derive from the TextBox control. For instance, a control that
    was declared as SomeControls:Control1 will be rendered with the attributes
    from BOTH SomeControls:Control1 and SomeControls:Control2. (eg both the
    onBlur and onFocus attributes) !!? To add to the strangeness, sometimes
    this happens, and sometimes this does not - If there are 10 instances of
    SomeControls:Control1 on the page, sometimes the top who will contain the
    elements from SomeControls:Control1 and SomeControls:Control2, while the
    rest will render correctly with just the SomeControls:Control1 code.

    Its like the two classes SomeControls:Control1 and SomeControls:Control2 are
    interfereing with each other somehow.

    I hope this makes some sense - it's pretty hard to explain, and personally I
    am loosing faith that I can figure out what is going on here. Can someone
    exlplain? Please!

    Thanks V much

    I originally posted this to frameword.aspnet, but thought this group would
    be more appropriate.

    Sosh, Jan 13, 2006