Very very newbie ?

Hasan Kachal

Hi all,

I am very very new to asp and am trying to get started fast. How do you
develope asp pages: do you open a text document and start typing codes? Or
is there a tool you use to develope asp pages.

I would appreciate any tips, advise you can give me.

Thank you,

Tim Slattery

Hasan Kachal said:
Hi all,

I am very very new to asp and am trying to get started fast. How do you
develope asp pages: do you open a text document and start typing codes? Or
is there a tool you use to develope asp pages.

Right the first time. Open a text editor and start typing.

There are some specialized editors (HomeSite comes to mind, there are
plenty of others) that will display your HTML tags, JavaScript code,
VBScript code, etc in different colors, and even automatically
complete tags for you. All icing on the cake. All that's really needed
is a text editor.

Larry Bud

Hasan Kachal said:
Hi all,

I am very very new to asp and am trying to get started fast. How do you
develope asp pages: do you open a text document and start typing codes? Or
is there a tool you use to develope asp pages.

I would appreciate any tips, advise you can give me.

All of the above. WSIWYG editors speed up development. I'll probably
get flamed, but for development in our intranet I use Frontpage 2k3.
It's now got some great features such as a split view of HTML and
Editing mode, syntax highlighting, etc.

How, if you've never even done HTML and are just messing around trying
to learn it, you really SHOULD just use a text editor. That way
you'll learn the proper HTML tags, such as for tables, which is
necessary because you'll most likely need to insert your ASP into the
proper places in the HTML, such as a retrieve from a database table
into HTML.

If you're quite versed in HTML, it's going to be much more tedious
doing it this way, and that's why I use FrontPage. If I want a table
6 columns by 3 rows, I can create it in 2 seconds, then insert my
HTML. If I want to format the text, I use the frontpage editor
instead of typing in the HTML.

Hasan Kachal

Thank you all for your input. I'll probably use Visual Studio. I am well
versed in SQL and have done some HTML.