VFD connectivity / game development

Roderick Thomas

Everyone's seen a small handheld text based game before...

I've seen them and often wondered how they worked, as I'm unfamiliar
with all the technologies involved. Well now I'd like to play around
and get something small running and would like to know the
possibilities of doing this with java.

1) Is it possible to control the display of a vfd with java?
2) Although this will be a text based game, there will be a lot of
data, database connectivity, etc. Will j2me be feasible for this (not
in a phone, but in a custom self contained unit)?

3) How can I learn more about portable game technology, java and vfds.
Is there a resource available specifically on any combination of
these topics on the web?

Thanks for any help you can provide.