    FPGA.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sander Odekerken

    Sander Odekerken, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Sander Odekerken

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Sander,
    Homework is for you. But to get you started,
    here is how I approach design:

    Start at the interface and study the timing and
    sequencing of data. From there it will suggest
    what hardware you need. Draw the block diagram
    for the data path. Draw a bubble diagram to
    control the data path with. Code the data
    path. Fix the bubble diagram for anything new
    you learned when coding the data path.
    Code the statemachine. Simulate the design
    and debug it. Synthesize it. Test it.
    Project done. Smile.

    There are VGA controllers in several books.
    Also do a websearch on VGA.

    Cheers,
    Jim

    Sander Odekerken wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm a student and for a project at school we have to make a VGA controller.
    > Does anyone have a good customizable example or does anyone know where to
    > download one? What do I have to do if I want to make one of my own.
    >
    > The input datawidth = 16 bit & the target device is a Xilinx Spartan IIE
    > FPGA.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sander Odekerken

    Jim Lewis
    Director of Training mailto:
    1-503-590-4787

    Jim Lewis, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Sander Odekerken

    Randy Thelen Guest

    "Sander Odekerken" <> wrote in message news:

    > I'm a student and for a project at school we have to make a VGA controller.
    > Does anyone have a good customizable example or does anyone know where to
    > download one? What do I have to do if I want to make one of my own.
    >
    > The input datawidth = 16 bit & the target device is a Xilinx Spartan IIE
    > FPGA.

    My dad and I built one, and I hope that it will help you, but it's not
    perfect. Take a look at:

    http://www.madscientistroom.org/fpga/vga/vga.html

    Unfortunately, the VGA that we built is in Verilog, not VHDL. But,
    you can probably make the leap. Also, ours uses a text display, not a
    bit map one. We use the Xilinx BRAM for the video display. We didn't
    build a color version, it's only monochromatic. Last, it has [at
    least] one bug ;-)

    On the good side, it's very well documented (I think). It has
    pointers to where we got our information, so you can learn for
    yourself. It does work. It is intended to be bolted onto a CPU bus
    (ours is incorporated in a 6809 design, see John Kent's web site for
    more on that:

    http://members.optushome.com.au/jekent/system09/index.html

    In fact, he just added a basic VGA to his system, too. You would do
    well to look at both and take the pieces that are most useful to you.

    Good luck!

    -- Randy

    Randy Thelen, Apr 7, 2004