VHDL and SAIF

abhishek

SAIF is switching activity interchange format.This feature is used by
synthesis tools for power optimisation.As far as my understanding goes,
SAIF is senstive only to value changes of the registers or wire.
Whenever there is a transition b/w four logic states 0,1,X,Z , it
calculates the power used in these transitions.

However if there is no value change on a reg/wire, but there is a
change of voltage only (strength of that particular wire/reg changes)
then does this bvoltage chane also leads to power consumption.
And if yes then it should also be voltage chjanges(when value is
constant) should also be recorded by our synthesis tool) for power
optimisation.
Please respond asap.

Thanks
Abhishek

Mohammed khader

Abhishek wrote...

However if there is no value change on a reg/wire, but there is a
change of voltage only (strength of that particular wire/reg changes)
then does this bvoltage chane also leads to power consumption. ...

If there is a change in voltage level then that would give rise to the
change in Logic....
I would like to know how is the voltage level on Wire / Net changes
with out changing the logic level.Are you talking about the electrical
noise from neioghbouring wires OR noise from the bouncing GND and VDD
??????

SAIF is for Switching Activity and only switching of logic is
considered. This Power Calculation is also termed as Dynamic Power.
Regards,
Mohammed Khader.