VHDL Books

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Unibus, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Unibus

    Unibus Guest

    I have the problem with the selection of a suitable book for learning
    VHDL. I've Googled, looked at the Amazon reviews, checked out the FPGA
    groups and still don't have a satisfactory answer.

    I've done chip level work on mainframes, maintained microprogramed and
    state machines (if you accept DEC LA180 printers), done some small
    design work, like the Mick & Brick bit-slice text, have manufacturer's
    data books, etc. Played with network protocols for some years so my
    reference library has the standard Cisco texts, Stevens' TCP/IP
    Illustrated, etc. Can write microcode if somebody twists my arm. I
    don't need the standard introductory material that is required for the
    target audience of some books. Alternatively I'm not looking for a
    cookbook that has lots of fragments. I would not be approaching VHDL as
    a 'computer' language for hardware but as a tool to implement logic if
    that makes sense. Hence my problem of buying a book sight unseen is the
    contradictory reviews.

    Anyone have some thoughts?

    Regards,
    Garry

    Unibus, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Unibus wrote:

    > I would not be approaching VHDL as
    > a 'computer' language for hardware but as a tool to implement logic if
    > that makes sense.

    VHDL synthesis code is an implementable description of logic,
    but it can only be produced efficiently while interacting with
    a simulator program running non-implementable testbench code.
    So consider getting a simulator first to try out examples.
    Aldec, modelsim or sonata would be fine.

    And you might need more than one book.

    For synthesis code, consider Rushton
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN 047198325X

    For a complete language reference, consider Ashenden
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN 1558606742

    An interesting side-trip is Barnes on ADA,
    the language that VHDL is based on.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN 0201342936

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Unibus

    Alex Gibson Guest

    "Unibus" <> wrote in message
    >I have the problem with the selection of a suitable book for learning
    > VHDL. I've Googled, looked at the Amazon reviews, checked out the FPGA
    > groups and still don't have a satisfactory answer.
    >
    > I've done chip level work on mainframes, maintained microprogramed and
    > state machines (if you accept DEC LA180 printers), done some small
    > design work, like the Mick & Brick bit-slice text, have manufacturer's
    > data books, etc. Played with network protocols for some years so my
    > reference library has the standard Cisco texts, Stevens' TCP/IP
    > Illustrated, etc. Can write microcode if somebody twists my arm. I
    > don't need the standard introductory material that is required for the
    > target audience of some books. Alternatively I'm not looking for a
    > cookbook that has lots of fragments. I would not be approaching VHDL as
    > a 'computer' language for hardware but as a tool to implement logic if
    > that makes sense. Hence my problem of buying a book sight unseen is the
    > contradictory reviews.
    >
    > Anyone have some thoughts?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Garry

    Have a look at confluence , may be of interest to you as well.
    http://www.confluent.org/

    Alex Gibson, Aug 26, 2004