    - VHDL 2000 LRM

    What's missing ? What would you add ?

    Nicolas

    Nicolas Matringe, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Nicolas Matringe wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
    > with me when I have to work at client's facilities.
    >
    > At the moment, I have gathered
    > - emacs + VHDL mode
    > - a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
    > - the VHDL.hlp file from ...
    > - VHDL 2000 LRM
    >
    > What's missing ? What would you add ?

    I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
    hooked up to vhdl-mode.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Sorry for using Google's service, There seems to be a problem with my
    provider's server.

    Mike Treseler a écrit :

    > Nicolas Matringe wrote:
    > > Hi all
    > > I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
    > > with me when I have to work at client's facilities.
    > >
    > > At the moment, I have gathered
    > > - emacs + VHDL mode
    > > - a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
    > > - the VHDL.hlp file from ...
    > > - VHDL 2000 LRM
    > >
    > > What's missing ? What would you add ?

    > I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
    > hooked up to vhdl-mode.

    So what would you recommend ? :)
    I unfortunately don't have much time to learn new tools so I stick to
    ModelSi but I might have time later ...

    Colin Marquardt sent me his suggestions :
    > ghdl.free.fr, gtkwave, the new IEEE packages for fixed and floating
    > point arithmetic, the http://bear.ces.cwru.edu/vhdl/ packages, Ben
    > Cohen's packages, the handbook from http://www.hardi.com/vhdl.htm,
    > maybe stuff from http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/opentech/about,
    > maybe octave (Matlab-like tool).

    Nicolas

    Nicolas Matringe, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Nicolas Matringe wrote:

    >> I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
    >> hooked up to vhdl-mode.

    > So what would you recommend ? :)
    > I unfortunately don't have much time to learn new tools so I stick to
    > ModelSim but I might have time later ...

    Just having vcom lets me use
    vhdl-compile which jumps to syntax errors.

    vsim would require a license server connection
    or a dongle -- a problem at a client site.
    I haven't yet found an easier way that works
    reliably however.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Nicolas Matringe

    Jim_B Guest

    I cannot do any coding without vim :)

    Jim_B, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Jim_B wrote:

    > I cannot do any coding without vim :)

    VIM? Emacs? Why don't you both chop of one of your hands just to make it
    even more challenging!?! ;)

    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

    Mark McDougall, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Nicolas Matringe

    Guest

    The two things I always carry to the client site:
    1) A laptop pre-loaded with all my favorite tools.
    2) A big USB flash drive.

    An x-server is nice to have on the laptop.

    , Aug 3, 2006
  8. Mark McDougall <> writes:

    > Jim_B wrote:
    >
    > > I cannot do any coding without vim :)

    > VIM? Emacs? Why don't you both chop of one of your hands just to make it
    > even more challenging!?! ;)

    I'm not sure I can imagine Emacsing with only one hand - I use one
    hand for the control keys and another for the letters :)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    http://www.trw.com/conekt

    Martin Thompson, Aug 3, 2006