    Any suggestion?

    rix
    , Oct 25, 2009

  2. Paul Floyd Guest

    On 25 Oct 2009 14:16:38 GMT, <> wrote:
    > hullo,
    > I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
    > files.
    > I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
    > doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
    > Any suggestion?

    Doxygen?

    A bientot
    Paul Floyd
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
    Paul Floyd, Oct 25, 2009

  3. Paul Floyd Guest

    On 25 Oct 2009 14:16:38 GMT, <> wrote:
    > hullo,
    > I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
    > files.
    > I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
    > doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
    > Any suggestion?

    I've only used Doxygen with C++ and C, and found its various diagrams
    quite impressive. You need dot to get the most out of it.

    What do you mean by gerarchy? Hierarchy?

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
    Paul Floyd, Oct 25, 2009
  4. writes:

    > hullo,
    > I'm looking for a tool to automatically build a documentation parsing VHDL
    > files.
    > I'm currently using Doxygen, but the VHDL support is rather poor, and it
    > doesn't build a gerarchy diagram.
    > Any suggestion?

    I've used Natural Docs with VHDL - with the following in Languages.txt:

    Language: Vhdl

    Extensions: vhd vho vhm
    Line Comment: --
    Block Comments:
    Package Separator: .
    Enum Values: Global
    Function Prototype Enders: ; is
    Variable Prototype Enders: ; :=

    Language: UCF

    Extension: ucf
    Line Comment: #
    Block Comments:

    It doesn't do a bad job IMHO, although it's not perfect, as it is
    "template matching" rather than truely understanding the VHDL. It
    also doesn't generate a hierarchy diagram.

    Cheers,
    Martin

    http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
    Martin Thompson, Oct 26, 2009
  5. There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
    of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
    need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.
    Benjamin Couillard, Oct 27, 2009
  6. On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <>
    wrote:
    > There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
    > of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
    > need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.

    I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
    someone patched doxygen for VHDL.
    Benjamin Couillard, Oct 27, 2009
  7. Paul Floyd Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:19:59 -0700 (PDT), Benjamin Couillard
    <> wrote:
    > On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <>
    > wrote:
    >> There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
    >> of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
    >> need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.

    > I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
    > someone patched doxygen for VHDL.

    And what would you you say is lacking?

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
    Paul Floyd, Oct 27, 2009
  8. On 27 oct, 15:12, Paul Floyd <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:19:59 -0700 (PDT), Benjamin Couillard
    >    <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 27 oct, 00:18, Benjamin Couillard <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> There's VHDLDOC lying around on the internet that generates some kind
    > >> of hierarchy diagram. However, there some bugs in it and you might
    > >> need to modify the perl script in order to make it work.

    > > I also agree that Doxygen isn't really suited for VHDL. It seems like
    > > someone patched doxygen for VHDL.

    > And what would you you say is lacking?
    >
    > A bientot
    > Paul
    > --
    > Paul Floyd                http://paulf.free.fr

    A hierarchy diagram mostly, because the inheritance diagram in the
    exmple below is somehow meaningless.
    For "regular" programming language like C, I think that doxygen is
    greatto document self-contained modules (like a driver for example),
    but less so to document a whole project.

    http://www.doxygen.nl/examples/mux/html/index.html
    Benjamin Couillard, Oct 27, 2009