    Bengt T Guest

    Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
    tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?
    Bengt T, Nov 28, 2008

  2. Bengt T wrote:
    > Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
    > tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

    this one is free, but complex and incomplete:
    http://ghdl.free.fr/

    This looks like what you need, but it isn't quite free:
    http://www.gmvhdl.com/directVHDL.html

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Bengt T

    Pinhas Guest

    On 29 נובמבר, 02:28, Brian Drummond <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:16:04 -0800 (PST), Bengt T
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
    > >tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

    > In addition to Mike's suggestions, consider Webpack from Xilinx, which
    > is free (but intended to sell you Xilinx chips).
    > It's a 2.2GB download...
    >
    > As of 10.1, the in-built simulator is starting to look like a useful
    > product (still a few rough edges but certainly good enough for
    > learning). The other tools are fine.
    >
    > Only SUSE 10 and RHEL (4 I think) officially supported, and only 32-bit
    > for the free Webpack, but I've been using it under SUSE 11 (64 bit with
    > the 32-bit compatibility libs) without trouble. I've also installed
    > under Fedora 8, (32 bit) successfully, once I realised you had to turn
    > SELinux off before running the installer...
    >
    > - Brian

    I work a lot with http://ghdl.free.fr/
    It compiles well a complex design such as LEON processor:
    I2C master connected and tested with LEON Processor
    http://bknpk.no-ip.biz/I2C/leon_2.html
    Pinhas, Nov 30, 2008
  4. Pinhas <> writes:

    > I work a lot with http://ghdl.free.fr/

    I had problems compiling the Altera libraries with ghdl some time ago.
    Did anybody have any success using ghdl with the Altera libraries?

    Petter

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Petter Gustad, Nov 30, 2008
  5. Bengt T

    Guest

    I may be top-posting, but at least I'm not hijacking (and killing)
    threads.

    BTW, GHDL does work for specific Altera primitives; every one that
    I've tried, that is.

    On Nov 30, 8:59 am, Petter Gustad <> wrote:
    > Pinhas <> writes:
    > > I work a lot withhttp://ghdl.free.fr/

    > I had problems compiling the Altera libraries with ghdl some time ago.
    > Did anybody have any success using ghdl with the Altera libraries?
    >
    > Petter
    >
    > --
    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    > A: Top-posting.
    , Dec 10, 2008
  6. Bengt T

    Clunixchit Guest

    On Nov 28, 8:16 pm, Bengt T <> wrote:
    > Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
    > tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

    You have a look at:
    http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/digital.html

    Fedora Electronic Lab (FEL) provides you the most complete platform
    for hardware engineering based on opensource software.

    Chitlesh
    Clunixchit, Dec 24, 2008