VHDL for Linux?

Bengt T

Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

Pinhas

In addition to Mike's suggestions, consider Webpack from Xilinx, which
is free (but intended to sell you Xilinx chips).
It's a 2.2GB download...

As of 10.1, the in-built simulator is starting to look like a useful
product (still a few rough edges but certainly good enough for
learning). The other tools are fine.

Only SUSE 10 and RHEL (4 I think) officially supported, and only 32-bit
for the free Webpack, but I've been using it under SUSE 11 (64 bit with
the 32-bit compatibility libs) without trouble. I've also installed
under Fedora 8, (32 bit) successfully, once I realised you had to turn
SELinux off before running the installer...

- Brian

I work a lot with http://ghdl.free.fr/
It compiles well a complex design such as LEON processor:
I2C master connected and tested with LEON Processor
http://bknpk.no-ip.biz/I2C/leon_2.html

d_s_klein

I may be top-posting, but at least I'm not hijacking (and killing)
threads.

BTW, GHDL does work for specific Altera primitives; every one that
I've tried, that is.