vhdl in emacs

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by alessandro basili, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. hi guys, is there anyone who is using emacs to edit vhdl code?
    I'm not used to emacs programming but I do use it a lot to write vhdl
    code. But I'd like to customize it a bit and edit the template for the
    process or for some others. To be more specific I rather like to write
    in this way:

    ProcessLabel: process (clk, nrst)
    begin
    if nrst = '0' then
    sigA <= '0';
    elsif rising_edge (clk) then
    sigA <= sigB;
    end if;
    end process;

    instead of:

    ProcessLabel: process (clk, nrst)
    begin
    if nrst = '0' then
    sigA <= '0';
    elsif clk'event and clk = '1' then
    sigA <= sigB;
    end if;
    end process;

    Can anyone tell me how to change these templates?
    By the way I'm using emacs under windows, can it be still possible?

    thanks a lot

    Alessandro Basili
    alessandro basili, Sep 11, 2006

  2. alessandro basili

    Guest

    alessandro basili wrote:
    > hi guys, is there anyone who is using emacs to edit vhdl code?
    > I'm not used to emacs programming but I do use it a lot to write vhdl
    > code. But I'd like to customize it a bit and edit the template for the
    > Can anyone tell me how to change these templates?
    > By the way I'm using emacs under windows, can it be still possible?

    You should locate
    "vhdl-mode.el"
    in your installation and modify it (is a lisp code)

    on my OS there is "vhdl-mode.elc" ... a byte-code compiled version...
    If you have a compiled version too... maybe you can substitute it with
    the source code but I'm not sure...
    You can find some example in
    http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/contrib/emacs/elisp20/vhdl-mode.el

    Sandro
    , Sep 11, 2006

  3. Thanks a lot Sandro, I went through it but I thought it could have been
    much easier, I'll see if it's worth to do that.
    See you

    Alessandro

    alessandro basili, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Allessandro,

    Check out this menu item:

    VHDL -> Options -> Templates -> Sequential Process -> Clock Edge Condition

    Regards,
    Marcus
    Marcus Harnisch, Sep 11, 2006