VHDL: practical questions: beyond just hobbies

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Neil Zanella, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Neil Zanella

    Neil Zanella Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to design a digital circuit for a digital device with LCD and
    sound output and data input. The data input connects to a PC from where
    the data is loaded. The data consists of a small program written on the PC
    using a custom compiler. Once the program is downloaded the FPGA
    interprets it. I would like to use VHDL to program the interpreter so that
    it displays the current time and other stuff and output sound. Is this
    reasonable or is VHDL not the right technology for the task at hand? Also,
    how does one go from prototyping some device on some board to
    manufacturing an actual gadget with plastic on the outside and of the
    right dimensions (e.g. a digital wrist watch or similar)? Is VHDL suitale
    for this task and what components would I need to purchase for
    prototyping? How do I carry it from there to the manufacturing process?

    Would the above qualify for an application of VHDL or are there better
    ways? Would I be nuts to use VHDL in the above process? Has anyone
    tried doing anything similar, by any chance?

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil Zanella, Nov 16, 2003