    begin writing vhdl code and simulate it under linux.

    Tnx a lot!
    FG
    Francesco Gadaleta, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Francesco Gadaleta <> wrote:
    > so i need someone who advises me about what (exactly) tools i need to
    > begin writing vhdl code and simulate it under linux.

    Your questions are easy done reading the FAQ from this group (google
    helps you finding it).

    Use any editor you like, I prefer emacs in vhdl-mode but that's a
    matter of style.
    For simulation you need an simulator like Modelsim from Mentor
    Graphics, available for many OS, linux is no problem nowadays. I know
    no free simulator so you have to spend some money (a little bit more
    than I would expect as newbie).
    The simulator includes the compiler from sourcecode to simulation
    code.

    You need more tools if you like to have your vhdl code done in
    silicon.

    bye Thomas
    Thomas Stanka, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Francesco Gadaleta

    Jaytersen Guest

    hello

    I asked the same question a while ago and since then i've found some
    different tools. You can try GHDL (do a google search or goto
    www.vhdl.org). ghdl will compile the code in to an executable, witch in
    turn can output a vcd file that you can probably use with GTKWave
    (www.geda.org) to get a waveform simulation. I never got it to work but
    let me know if you do.

    --

    Jaytersen
    Jaytersen, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Francesco Gadaleta

    Tero Kapanen Guest

    Try the site below:
    http://sal.kachinatech.com/

    choose "Other Scientific Field" for category and "Electrical & Related
    Software" for subcategory.

    - tero
    Tero Kapanen, Nov 3, 2003