vhdl simulation in linux

Francesco Gadaleta

Hi all, i'm a newbie for vhdl.
so i need someone who advises me about what (exactly) tools i need to
begin writing vhdl code and simulate it under linux.

Tnx a lot!
FG

Thomas Stanka

Francesco Gadaleta said:
so i need someone who advises me about what (exactly) tools i need to
begin writing vhdl code and simulate it under linux.

Your questions are easy done reading the FAQ from this group (google
helps you finding it).

Use any editor you like, I prefer emacs in vhdl-mode but that's a
matter of style.
For simulation you need an simulator like Modelsim from Mentor
Graphics, available for many OS, linux is no problem nowadays. I know
no free simulator so you have to spend some money (a little bit more
than I would expect as newbie).
The simulator includes the compiler from sourcecode to simulation
code.

You need more tools if you like to have your vhdl code done in
silicon.

bye Thomas

Jaytersen

hello

I asked the same question a while ago and since then i've found some
different tools. You can try GHDL (do a google search or goto
www.vhdl.org). ghdl will compile the code in to an executable, witch in
turn can output a vcd file that you can probably use with GTKWave
(www.geda.org) to get a waveform simulation. I never got it to work but
let me know if you do.