VHDL simulator on linux

rohit.nadig

Hello Comrades,

Are any of you aware of a FREE VHDL simulator for educational purposes?

This for a class at a university. I could probably get our school to
pay $50 for a license but no more than that.

Thank you,
Rohit

Arnim

Carl Greco

Arnim said:
Rohit,

GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) is a GPL'd VHDL simulator, no GUI though.
GTKWave (http://home.nc.rr.com/gtkwave/) can fill this hole.

Free like in "free beer" are Simili (http://www.symphonyeda.com/) and
BlueHDL (http://www.bluepc.com/bluehdl.html - student version). The free
versions are limited in simulation performance, code size and/or
functionality.

There are probably more...

Arnim
Xilinx WebPACK (ISE 8.2i) has a builtin simulator and runs under linux
as well as XP. Although it is only "officially" supported for Redhat, I
run it on Debian 3.1r3. Parallel to JTAG drivers are available - search
for linuxdrivers on the Xilinx website.
[http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm]

wallge

many EDA software companies will give you a license to their software
if you are an educational institution. I use ALDEC active HDL, it is
very good and easy to use. I suspect if you asked them or had a
professor write them a request letter, they would donate some licenses.

If you are looking for something really basic, you can use quartus II
webpack from altera. It comes with a basic simulator of VHDL, the major
problem is that it will only let you use hand drawn waveforms as
stimulus for your vhdl files (does not support test benches).

I would check out aldec though. I bet they will give you some licenses
if you are with an educational institution.