    Thank you,
    Rohit

    , Nov 11, 2006

  2. Arnim Guest

    Arnim, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Carl Greco Guest

    Arnim wrote:
    > Rohit,
    >

    >>Are any of you aware of a FREE VHDL simulator for educational
    >>purposes?

    > GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) is a GPL'd VHDL simulator, no GUI though.
    > GTKWave (http://home.nc.rr.com/gtkwave/) can fill this hole.
    >
    > Free like in "free beer" are Simili (http://www.symphonyeda.com/) and
    > BlueHDL (http://www.bluepc.com/bluehdl.html - student version). The free
    > versions are limited in simulation performance, code size and/or
    > functionality.
    >
    > There are probably more...
    >
    > Arnim

    Xilinx WebPACK (ISE 8.2i) has a builtin simulator and runs under linux
    as well as XP. Although it is only "officially" supported for Redhat, I
    run it on Debian 3.1r3. Parallel to JTAG drivers are available - search
    for linuxdrivers on the Xilinx website.
    [http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm]

    Carl Greco, Nov 11, 2006
  4. wallge Guest

    many EDA software companies will give you a license to their software
    if you are an educational institution. I use ALDEC active HDL, it is
    very good and easy to use. I suspect if you asked them or had a
    professor write them a request letter, they would donate some licenses.

    If you are looking for something really basic, you can use quartus II
    webpack from altera. It comes with a basic simulator of VHDL, the major
    problem is that it will only let you use hand drawn waveforms as
    stimulus for your vhdl files (does not support test benches).

    I would check out aldec though. I bet they will give you some licenses
    if you are with an educational institution.

    wallge, Nov 11, 2006