    VHDL simulators running on a PC under Windows?

    The FAQ has some info on simulators but some of it appears to be out
    of date.

    Mike Kopp, Sep 22, 2003

  2. On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:45:21 -0400, Mike Kopp
    <> wrote:

    >We have three licenses for Mentor formerly Innoveda formerly Synopsys
    >formerly ViewLogic Fusion/Speedwave which we use for VHDL simulation.
    >Mentor is dropping Fusion/Speedwave since they already have Modelsim.
    >Unfortunately they are telling us to throw several thousand dollars at
    >them to convert the Fusion/Speedwave licenses to Modelsim licenses.
    >If we have to spend money to get a new simulator then that opens up
    >the field to other vendors. Does anyone have any recomendations for
    >VHDL simulators running on a PC under Windows?
    >
    >The FAQ has some info on simulators but some of it appears to be out
    >of date.

    First establish whether you wish to do pure VHDL, or VHDL with "FLI",
    or VHDL - Verilog cosimulation, or perhaps VHDL - Verilog - EDIF
    cosimulation, or VHDL - EDIF cosimulation, or whatever.
    (Note: some models are only available in (compiled) Verilog or EDIF.)

    This may narrow the field somewhat (e.g. Modelsim doesn't do EDIF, but
    Aldec does).

    Also consider that you may wish to run an (ASIC) model from a vendor
    which is only available compiled for certain simulators.
    My experience has been that the ASIC vendor will have a copy of
    Modelsim (and is prepared to compile models using that it), but won't
    have heard of the cheaper tools.

    BTW, the cheapest, fully featured VHDL simulator is (IMO) Simili. It
    doesn't do any cosimulation or FLI though.

    Regards,
    Allan.

    Allan Herriman, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Mike Kopp

    JK Guest

    I have used Aldec's ActiveHDL for many years and found it to be very easy to
    use, with a very good graphical waveform viewer. You can try it out
    yourself by downloading a 20-day evaluation from their website,
    www.aldec.com.

    Regards,
    Jeff

    JK, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Mike Kopp

    FE Guest

    > Also consider that you may wish to run an (ASIC) model from a vendor
    > which is only available compiled for certain simulators.
    > My experience has been that the ASIC vendor will have a copy of
    > Modelsim (and is prepared to compile models using that it), but won't
    > have heard of the cheaper tools.

    nc-sim (nc-verilog, nc-vhdl) is normally supported too. I never used it but
    some people said to me that nc is the fastest simulator.

    regards
    fe

    FE, Sep 23, 2003