vhdl source cross-referencing tool

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by geoffrey wall, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
    components and
    instantiations of those components?
    For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
    know where it is defined (or what it does)
    I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
    another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
    entities, components
    and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
    visual c++ and other
    software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
    be represented graphically.
    I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
    hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
    and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
    above.

    thanks

    --
    Geoffrey Wall
    Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering

    Cell Phone:
    850.339.4157

    ECE Machine Intelligence Lab
    http://www.eng.fsu.edu/mil
    MIL Office Phone:
    850.410.6145

    Center for Applied Vision and Imaging Science
    http://cavis.fsu.edu/
    CAVIS Office Phone:
    850.645.2257
    geoffrey wall, Jul 1, 2005

  2. geoffrey wall

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Compile it and use the simulator to trace your hierarchy.

    If you have additional $$ see http://www.stelartools.com/

    > Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
    > components and
    > instantiations of those components?
    > For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
    > know where it is defined (or what it does)
    > I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
    > another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
    > entities, components
    > and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
    > visual c++ and other
    > software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
    > be represented graphically.
    > I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
    > hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
    > and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
    > above.
    >

    > thanks

    Jim Lewis
    Director of Training mailto:
    1-503-590-4787

    Jim Lewis, Jul 1, 2005

  3. geoffrey wall

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Jul 2, 2005
  4. geoffrey wall

    Daniel Leu Guest

    Daniel Leu, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Mike Treseler, Jul 2, 2005
  6. geoffrey wall

    Guest

    HI,
    Debussy tool may help you in this regard.
    Cheers,
    Raghavendra

    geoffrey wall wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
    > components and
    > instantiations of those components?
    > For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
    > know where it is defined (or what it does)
    > I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
    > another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
    > entities, components
    > and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
    > visual c++ and other
    > software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
    > be represented graphically.
    > I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
    > hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
    > and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
    > above.
    >

    > thanks
    >
    > --
    > Geoffrey Wall
    > Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering
    > Florida State University, FAMU/FSU College of Engineering
    >
    > Cell Phone:
    > 850.339.4157
    >
    > ECE Machine Intelligence Lab
    > http://www.eng.fsu.edu/mil
    > MIL Office Phone:
    > 850.410.6145
    >
    > Center for Applied Vision and Imaging Science
    > http://cavis.fsu.edu/
    > CAVIS Office Phone:
    > 850.645.2257
    , Jul 4, 2005
  7. geoffrey wall

    RS Guest

    You can use VIM - the free editor.
    The VIM has a tag feature to jump to a component, package, signal
    declaration or a procedure/function.
    VIM has a plugin called project.vim which when combined with tags is
    extremely powerful.
    To use tags feature, you need to create a file which defines the
    relation between
    tag and where it is present.
    I have got a perl script which can create such file for you.

    The good part about this is, it is free.
    The bad part is it takes some time to learn.

    Shankar ()
    RS, Jul 5, 2005
  8. geoffrey wall

    Ajeetha Guest

    Hi,
    Which simulator do you use? I use VCS-MX and its new front-end DVE
    can do this quite well. You double-click on the module/entity name and
    it takes you to the definition.

    HTH
    Ajeetha
    http://www.noveldv.com