VHDL Standards Progress Report

Andy

I respectfully suggest instead using the Ada shortcut logical operators
"or else" and "and then", since VHDL syntax was originally derived
from Ada. This avoids any need to introduce new reserved words.

Eric

I strongly support the use of a standard expression in an assertion
statement to indicate that events are mutually exclusive, and that a
synthesis tool should treat them as such. Adding ORIF is less flexible
and harder to read/review. And how would a simulator verify ORIF?
Would it generate an assertion if the expressions were in fact not
mutually exclusive?

The use of "or else" in ada is not related to mutual exclusivity, but
is a short cut OPERATOR, useable only within a single expression, not
as part of the syntax of the if/then/elsif statement. It was designed
to enforce an order of execution on logical operators in the same
expression. Such different uses for the same syntax between ada and
vhdl would lead to much confusion.

Andy