VHPI Books

PlayDough

Can anybody recommend a VHPI book, paper, tutorial, etc? The standard
itself lacks the clarity that a book or tutorial could provide.

Hans

What are you trying to achieve? If you would just like to add a C model to
your simulation or use C for your testbench than I would strongly suggest
you check out SystemC. I use Modelsim and I can mix and match
VHDL/SystemC(C/C++) at any level of the hierarchy without any complicated
interface issues (VHPI might be easier to use than Modelsim's FLI), I assume
this is the same for Aldec and other vendors.

Just a thought,

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

PlayDough

Hans said:
What are you trying to achieve? If you would just like to add a C model to
your simulation or use C for your testbench than I would strongly suggest
you check out SystemC. I use Modelsim and I can mix and match
VHDL/SystemC(C/C++) at any level of the hierarchy without any complicated
interface issues (VHPI might be easier to use than Modelsim's FLI), I assume
this is the same for Aldec and other vendors.

Thanks for the response.

I have a SystemC solution to what I want to do. It in fact works quite
well, and SystemC is the way I'd rather go. I've used Modelsim's
SystemC solution, and it worked quite well. However, our company is
switching over to Aldec (Aldec is considerably less expensive) and the
SystemC support for Aldec doesn't have support for generic passing from
VHDL to SystemC (though they say 7.2 will have it come the release in
November).

The reason I'm looking seriously into the VHPI is because of my
company's reluctance to purchase SystemC licenses, when the VHPI is
included with the base VHDL price. I think it is quite possible to do
what I want via the VHPI, but I need some clarification on crossing the
VHDL/VHPI boundary.

To achieve that end, I'm looking for some books, tutorials,
presentations, whatever, to help.