    PlayDough Guest

    Can anybody recommend a VHPI book, paper, tutorial, etc? The standard
    itself lacks the clarity that a book or tutorial could provide.
    PlayDough, Oct 21, 2006

  2. PlayDough

    Hans Guest

    What are you trying to achieve? If you would just like to add a C model to
    your simulation or use C for your testbench than I would strongly suggest
    you check out SystemC. I use Modelsim and I can mix and match
    VHDL/SystemC(C/C++) at any level of the hierarchy without any complicated
    interface issues (VHPI might be easier to use than Modelsim's FLI), I assume
    this is the same for Aldec and other vendors.

    Just a thought,

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    Hans, Oct 21, 2006

  3. PlayDough

    PlayDough Guest

    Hans wrote:
    > What are you trying to achieve? If you would just like to add a C model to
    > your simulation or use C for your testbench than I would strongly suggest
    > you check out SystemC. I use Modelsim and I can mix and match
    > VHDL/SystemC(C/C++) at any level of the hierarchy without any complicated
    > interface issues (VHPI might be easier to use than Modelsim's FLI), I assume
    > this is the same for Aldec and other vendors.

    Thanks for the response.

    I have a SystemC solution to what I want to do. It in fact works quite
    well, and SystemC is the way I'd rather go. I've used Modelsim's
    SystemC solution, and it worked quite well. However, our company is
    switching over to Aldec (Aldec is considerably less expensive) and the
    SystemC support for Aldec doesn't have support for generic passing from
    VHDL to SystemC (though they say 7.2 will have it come the release in
    November).

    The reason I'm looking seriously into the VHPI is because of my
    company's reluctance to purchase SystemC licenses, when the VHPI is
    included with the base VHDL price. I think it is quite possible to do
    what I want via the VHPI, but I need some clarification on crossing the
    VHDL/VHPI boundary.

    To achieve that end, I'm looking for some books, tutorials,
    presentations, whatever, to help.
    PlayDough, Oct 23, 2006