Video help please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by CartoonHead, Jul 2, 2006.

  1. CartoonHead

    CartoonHead Guest

    Hi all, its me again. And I am still getting problems with my Video page.

    http://www.marcellot.co.uk/video/video_gallery_page_1.html

    All works well for me in FireFox. When you click on the photo link, the page
    opens up and the file loads and plays. The "download" save feature also
    works well when that link is pressed.

    However in IE the page loads, but not the file for the video and it will not
    play. If you press the "download" link the file will download and play
    straight away without giving you the chance to save to a location.

    I really am at a loss to why this can be. Could some kind sole please have a
    look and give me some advise.

    Thanks

    Andre

    CH
    CartoonHead, Jul 2, 2006

  2. CartoonHead

    CartoonHead Guest

    All sorted. Thanks for looking

    CH

    CartoonHead, Jul 2, 2006

  3. CartoonHead

    BlueC Guest

    CartoonHead wrote:
    > Hi all, its me again. And I am still getting problems with my Video page.
    >
    > http://www.marcellot.co.uk/video/video_gallery_page_1.html
    >
    > All works well for me in FireFox. When you click on the photo link, the page
    > opens up and the file loads and plays. The "download" save feature also
    > works well when that link is pressed.
    >
    > However in IE the page loads, but not the file for the video and it will not
    > play. If you press the "download" link the file will download and play
    > straight away without giving you the chance to save to a location.
    >
    > I really am at a loss to why this can be. Could some kind sole please have a
    > look and give me some advise.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andre
    >
    > CH

    Here's a start, the Content-Type http headers look wrong, this info is
    from http://www.webconfs.com/http-header-check.php:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK =>
    Date => Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:57:40 GMT
    Server => Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
    Last-Modified => Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:33:32 GMT
    ETag => "16ac022-feea2-10f6b00"
    Accept-Ranges => bytes
    Content-Length => 1044130
    Connection => close
    Content-Type => text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

    You need to configure apache to send the correct headers by forcing the
    correct MIME type for .wmv files. Google for it, I don't have the answer
    to hand.

    Here's another clue:

    ..asf video/x-ms-asf
    ..asx video/x-ms-asf
    ..wma audio/x-ms-wma
    ..wax audio/x-ms-wax
    ..wmv video/x-ms-wmv
    ..wvx video/x-ms-wvx
    ..wm video/x-ms-wm
    ..wmx video/x-ms-wmx
    ..wmz application/x-ms-wmz
    ..wmd application/x-ms-wmd

    Check these are correct in your mime.types file.

    --
    BC
    BlueC, Jul 2, 2006
  4. CartoonHead

    BlueC Guest

    CartoonHead wrote:
    > All sorted. Thanks for looking
    >
    > CH

    What was the problem? I'd be interested to know!

    --
    BC
    BlueC, Jul 2, 2006
  5. CartoonHead

    CartoonHead Guest

    Hi Blue this was from a chap in another forum

    http://www.htmlforums.com/

    Your parameters are wrong. This

    Code:
    <param name="fileName" value="/onenightstand_2.wmv">should be this

    Code:
    <param name="fileName" value="video/onenightstand_2.wmv">and that did the
    trick all seems ok now

    Regards

    CH

    CartoonHead, Jul 3, 2006
  6. CartoonHead

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    CartoonHead wrote:
    > Hi Blue this was from a chap in another forum
    >
    > http://www.htmlforums.com/
    >

    > Your parameters are wrong. This
    >
    > Code:
    > <param name="fileName" value="/onenightstand_2.wmv">should be this
    >
    > Code:
    > <param name="fileName" value="video/onenightstand_2.wmv">and that did the
    > trick all seems ok now

    After your change mentioned above, the video opens in the WMP when
    using IE6 as it should. However, unlike most other browsers, if you
    click on the "download" link, you get the video to open full screen in
    the WMP rather than being embedded or downloaded without playing. If
    you do not have a WMP installed, or if you go into the settings and
    uncheck playing wma files in the file type list, then when you click
    the "download" link IE6 says it cannot open the video and gives you a
    screen to select a program to open the video. I was able to select the
    real player and the Winamp players to play the .wmv video file. The
    important point here is that if the viewer is using IE6 for which a WMP
    is not working, for whatever reason, they will be given the chance to
    select another player such as Real or Winamp that also will play .wmv
    video files. There are a few people out there who dislike Microsoft so
    much that they will not install the WMP. Also, I believe the WMP can be
    installed only on a Windows or Mac OS.
    cwdjrxyz, Jul 4, 2006