Video help please

CartoonHead

Hi all, its me again. And I am still getting problems with my Video page.

http://www.marcellot.co.uk/video/video_gallery_page_1.html

All works well for me in FireFox. When you click on the photo link, the page
opens up and the file loads and plays. The "download" save feature also
works well when that link is pressed.

However in IE the page loads, but not the file for the video and it will not
play. If you press the "download" link the file will download and play
straight away without giving you the chance to save to a location.

I really am at a loss to why this can be. Could some kind sole please have a
look and give me some advise.

Thanks

Andre

CH

BlueC

CartoonHead said:
Hi all, its me again. And I am still getting problems with my Video page.

http://www.marcellot.co.uk/video/video_gallery_page_1.html

All works well for me in FireFox. When you click on the photo link, the page
opens up and the file loads and plays. The "download" save feature also
works well when that link is pressed.

However in IE the page loads, but not the file for the video and it will not
play. If you press the "download" link the file will download and play
straight away without giving you the chance to save to a location.

I really am at a loss to why this can be. Could some kind sole please have a
look and give me some advise.

Thanks

Andre

CH

Here's a start, the Content-Type http headers look wrong, this info is
from http://www.webconfs.com/http-header-check.php:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK =>
Date => Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:57:40 GMT
Server => Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
Last-Modified => Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:33:32 GMT
ETag => "16ac022-feea2-10f6b00"
Accept-Ranges => bytes
Content-Length => 1044130
Connection => close
Content-Type => text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

You need to configure apache to send the correct headers by forcing the
correct MIME type for .wmv files. Google for it, I don't have the answer
to hand.

Here's another clue:

..asf video/x-ms-asf
..asx video/x-ms-asf
..wma audio/x-ms-wma
..wax audio/x-ms-wax
..wmv video/x-ms-wmv
..wvx video/x-ms-wvx
..wm video/x-ms-wm
..wmx video/x-ms-wmx
..wmz application/x-ms-wmz
..wmd application/x-ms-wmd

Check these are correct in your mime.types file.

CartoonHead

Hi Blue this was from a chap in another forum

http://www.htmlforums.com/

Your parameters are wrong. This

Code:
<param name="fileName" value="/onenightstand_2.wmv">should be this

Code:
<param name="fileName" value="video/onenightstand_2.wmv">and that did the
trick all seems ok now

Regards

CH

cwdjrxyz

CartoonHead said:
Hi Blue this was from a chap in another forum

http://www.htmlforums.com/

Your parameters are wrong. This

Code:
<param name="fileName" value="/onenightstand_2.wmv">should be this

Code:
<param name="fileName" value="video/onenightstand_2.wmv">and that did the
trick all seems ok now

After your change mentioned above, the video opens in the WMP when
using IE6 as it should. However, unlike most other browsers, if you
click on the "download" link, you get the video to open full screen in
the WMP rather than being embedded or downloaded without playing. If
you do not have a WMP installed, or if you go into the settings and
uncheck playing wma files in the file type list, then when you click
the "download" link IE6 says it cannot open the video and gives you a
screen to select a program to open the video. I was able to select the
real player and the Winamp players to play the .wmv video file. The
important point here is that if the viewer is using IE6 for which a WMP
is not working, for whatever reason, they will be given the chance to
select another player such as Real or Winamp that also will play .wmv
video files. There are a few people out there who dislike Microsoft so
much that they will not install the WMP. Also, I believe the WMP can be
installed only on a Windows or Mac OS.