    chrisdude911 Guest

    how do i add video into a javascript web page with my own custom
    buttons?
    chrisdude911, Mar 26, 2006

  2. chrisdude911

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    chrisdude911 wrote:
    > how do i add video into a javascript web page with my own custom
    > buttons?

    First, you often do not have to use javascript to add an embedded video
    with control buttons to a web page. The objects for the WMP and Real
    players, for example, can contain parameters that supply various button
    combinations, if you wish, or you can autostart without any controls
    showing. In some cases, javascript controls will allow you to do
    something more fancy, but of course these will not work if the viewing
    browser has script turned off.

    You will find some examples of both audio and video, with and without
    script, on my media pages that can be reached at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 26, 2006

  3. chrisdude911

    Guest

    First use IE 5 or better and use Windows. I do not program for
    Netscape or other second rate browsers and OS.
    Go to http://www.alaskavirtualtour.com It does what I think you are
    looking for.
    It is loaded with viewable code and uses two versions of Windows Medai
    Player with the controls plus more. You do know how to view the code?
    (right mouse button)
    , Mar 27, 2006
  4. chrisdude911

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > First use IE 5 or better and use Windows. I do not program for
    > Netscape or other second rate browsers and OS.

    I think many here consider IE6 as the worst popular browser in wide
    use. The reasons are many. It is not W3C standards compliant in many
    areas. It can not even support mime type application/xhtml+xml that is
    required for serving true xhtml, and IE7 likely will not either. Not
    many use Netscape anymore. However many are now using Firefox and
    Opera. I need elaborate no more. If you want to argue this point, there
    are many users of browsers such as Firefox here that likely will be
    more than happy to argue with you. I do not have the time.

    > Go to http://www.alaskavirtualtour.com It does what I think you are
    > looking for.

    It does not work on Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape, and the code
    is full of validation errors. If you are only interested in viewers who
    use a recent IE, it works. However there are ways to make the video
    play on most recent browsers that are well known. Most of the big media
    sites I go to work just fine on recent Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, and
    Netscape browsers as well as IE.

    > It is loaded with viewable code and uses two versions of Windows Medai
    > Player with the controls plus more. You do know how to view the code?
    > (right mouse button)

    If you view the page on Firefox, Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla and right
    click to view the source code, you just find a few lines of a frame set
    code, and the movies can not be clicked on. If you use IE6 and click on
    a movie so that it is working, then you can view the source code by
    right clicking. The reason the code works only for IE and close
    relatives soon becomes apparent. An ActiveX object path only is used
    for playing the movie, and most browsers do not support this. The
    classic way, although not standards compliant, is to insert an embed
    path within the ActiveX object. This allows most other browsers to play
    the movie when they do not support ActiveX. However there are standards
    compliant ways that I use to avoid using a now invalid embed tag. The
    code you get that includes the players is also full of other errors.
    Just take it to the W3C validator to see.

    This is the worst example of a page for playing video files that I have
    seen in a long time, and one should avoid it unless you are only using
    a page on a network where you know only recent IE browsers are used.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 27, 2006
  5. chrisdude911

    Guest

    <This is the worst example of a page for playing video files that I
    have
    seen in a long time, and one should avoid it unless you are only using
    a page on a network where you know only recent IE browsers are used.>

    The fact is 98 per cent of the Internet users use IE5 or better. No
    private network is required.
    Click on my webstat counter at the bottom electrician.com and read the
    stats for about a million hits.

    If you do not use IE 5+ you are not in compliance with 98 percent of
    the users of my sites. I simply don't have the time to mess with the
    Netscape, Firefox, and Opera minority. As far as I am concerned
    Microsoft is the standard bearer, not the W3C people. We have all seen
    where Netscape went by being W3C compliant. I wrote several JavaScript
    programs from 1996 to 1999. Then after spending six weeks writing a
    program would have to spend another two weeks making it compatible with
    Netscape. Never again! Hey if you don't want to use IE go somewhere
    else. The Internet world will go on spinning right on by you.
    , Mar 27, 2006
  6. chrisdude911

    VK Guest

    wrote:
    > The fact is 98 per cent of the Internet users use IE5 or better. No
    > private network is required.
    > Click on my webstat counter at the bottom electrician.com and read the
    > stats for about a million hits.
    > If you do not use IE 5+ you are not in compliance with 98 percent of
    > the users of my sites. I simply don't have the time to mess with the
    > Netscape, Firefox, and Opera minority. As far as I am concerned
    > Microsoft is the standard bearer, not the W3C people.

    Partially true (in the sense that some standards are being originally
    coined by Microsoft, not by W3C).

    Your stat is highly patched though. The average by
    <http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>
    <http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/February/browser.php>
    <http://www.webreference.com/stats/browser.html>

    is 4%-9% with small growth trend which is close to the stats of servers
    I'm able to monitor in my location (but have no right to disclose).

    But anyone is entitled for his personal decision about anything, and
    they are not a subject of public "redo efforts" as long as they are
    legal. As there is nothing illegal in your decision to support nothing
    but IE, you are fine. The question remains though: if your final
    decision is already taken :- what the f-word are you fishing in this
    newsgroup? <microsoft.public.scripting.jscript> is right on the corner
    and that group charter corresponds to your ideas and experience.

    suitcase - train - mpsj ! ;-)
    VK, Mar 27, 2006
  7. chrisdude911

    Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:

    > First use IE 5 or better and use Windows. I do not program for
    > Netscape or other second rate browsers and OS.

    "Netscape or other second rate browsers and OS?"

    Are you completely retarded?
    I guess anything not-windows is second rate in your book, right?

    Stop pretending you have answers if you show so clearly you are completely
    clueless.

    To the Original Poster: Please know this chap is not speaking for the
    community at all.

    No regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Mar 27, 2006
  8. chrisdude911

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > First use IE 5 or better and use Windows. I do not program for
    > > Netscape or other second rate browsers and OS.

    > I think many here consider IE6 as the worst popular browser in wide
    > use. The reasons are many. It is not W3C standards compliant in many
    > areas. It can not even support mime type application/xhtml+xml that is
    > required for serving true xhtml, and IE7 likely will not either. Not
    > many use Netscape anymore. However many are now using Firefox and
    > Opera. I need elaborate no more. If you want to argue this point, there
    > are many users of browsers such as Firefox here that likely will be
    > more than happy to argue with you. I do not have the time.
    >

    > > Go to http://www.alaskavirtualtour.com It does what I think you are
    > > looking for.

    > It does not work on Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape, and the code
    > is full of validation errors. If you are only interested in viewers who
    > use a recent IE, it works. However there are ways to make the video
    > play on most recent browsers that are well known. Most of the big media
    > sites I go to work just fine on recent Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, and
    > Netscape browsers as well as IE.
    >

    > > It is loaded with viewable code and uses two versions of Windows Medai
    > > Player with the controls plus more. You do know how to view the code?
    > > (right mouse button)

    > If you view the page on Firefox, Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla and right
    > click to view the source code, you just find a few lines of a frame set
    > code, and the movies can not be clicked on. If you use IE6 and click on
    > a movie so that it is working, then you can view the source code by
    > right clicking. The reason the code works only for IE and close
    > relatives soon becomes apparent. An ActiveX object path only is used
    > for playing the movie, and most browsers do not support this. The
    > classic way, although not standards compliant, is to insert an embed
    > path within the ActiveX object. This allows most other browsers to play
    > the movie when they do not support ActiveX. However there are standards
    > compliant ways that I use to avoid using a now invalid embed tag. The
    > code you get that includes the players is also full of other errors.
    > Just take it to the W3C validator to see.
    >
    > This is the worst example of a page for playing video files that I have
    > seen in a long time, and one should avoid it unless you are only using
    > a page on a network where you know only recent IE browsers are used.

    I find that the above needs elaboration. Since some here do not use
    IE6, or who will not be bothered switching to it while reading this
    group, I have gone to IE6 so that I could get the source code for your
    "moose" video. I then copied and pasted this in the text box at the W3C
    validator. I selected the extended interface and selected to show the
    source code. I then copied the report and pasted it below so that
    everyone in the group can easily see the source code and the error
    report. Below this report, I will make some additional comments.

    W3C QA Markup Validation Service
    v0.7.2

    * Skip Navigation | Home
    * About...
    * News
    * Docs
    * Help & FAQ
    * Feedback

    Jump To:

    * Results
    * Source Listing

    Result: Failed validation, 42 errors
    File: upload://Form Submission
    Encoding: utf-8
    Doctype: HTML 4.01 Frameset
    This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Frameset!

    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
    parser.

    1. Error Line 16, column 27: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    ..

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT>

    The attribute given above is required for an element that you've
    used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML
    document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element
    and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

    Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and
    type="text/javascript" for <script>.

    ✉
    2. Error Line 40, column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    ..

    ✉
    3. Error Line 54, column 29: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    ..

    <script language="JavaScript">

    ✉
    4. Error Line 186, column 107: document type does not allow element
    "BODY" here .

    ... alink="#0130DD" onLoad="scrollMsg()">

    The element named above was found in a context where it is not
    allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
    such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
    "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

    One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in
    HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
    error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's
    "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a
    HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head"
    section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and
    "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).

    ✉
    5. Error Line 243, column 36: an attribute specification must start
    with a name or name token .

    <PARAM NAME="ShowGotoBar" VALUE=0">

    An attribute name (and some attribute values) must start with one
    of a restricted set of characters. This error usually indicates that
    you have failed to add a closing quotation mark on a previous attribute
    value (so the attribute value looks like the start of a new attribute)
    or have used an attribute that is not defined (usually a typo in a
    common attribute name).

    ✉
    6. Error Line 273, column 32: required attribute "TYPE" not
    specified .

    ✉
    7. Error Line 275, column 233: end tag for element "A" which is not
    open .

    ...p://home.netscape.com\">Click Here</a> to get Netscape
    4.</b></font>");

    The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that
    element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end
    tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an
    implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element
    being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case).
    In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the
    original problem.

    If this error occured in a script section of your document, you
    should probably read this FAQ entry.

    ✉
    8. Error Line 275, column 256: end tag for element "B" which is not
    open .

    ✉
    9. Error Line 275, column 263: end tag for element "FONT" which is
    not open .

    ✉
    10. Error Line 281, column 208: there is no attribute "SRC" .

    ...sc1); window.status = ''"><image src="moose_th.gif"
    border="0"></a></center>

    You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
    document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
    element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
    document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
    "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by
    using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is
    usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

    This error may also result if the element itself is not supported
    in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have
    no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error
    message for further information.

    How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and
    attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they
    are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of
    this attribute.

    ✉
    11. Error Line 281, column 230: there is no attribute "BORDER" .

    ✉
    12. Error Line 281, column 233: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    You have used the element named above in your document, but the
    document type you are using does not define an element of that name.
    This error is often caused by:
    * incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document
    that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get
    the "<frameset>" element),
    * by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>"
    or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the
    desired effect instead).
    * by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and
    elements must be all lower-case.

    ✉
    13. Error Line 286, column 232: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    14. Error Line 290, column 231: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    15. Error Line 294, column 231: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    16. Error Line 298, column 226: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    17. Error Line 302, column 225: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    18. Error Line 306, column 242: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ...age src="pillsbury_th.gif" border="0"></a></center>

    ✉
    19. Error Line 314, column 43: element "IMAGE" undefined .

    ✉
    20. Error Line 319, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in
    which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones
    that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This
    might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've
    forgotten to close a previous element.

    One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to
    put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline

    ✉
    21. Error Line 320, column 24: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Moose!</h2></li>

    ✉
    22. Error Line 320, column 70: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...2>Click to Play a Movie about a Moose!</h2></li>

    * You forgot to close a tag, or
    * you used something inside this tag that was not allowed,
    and the validator is complaining that the tag should be closed before
    such content can be allowed.

    The next message, "start tag was here" points to the particular
    instance of the tag in question); the positional indicator points to
    where the validator expected you to close the tag.

    ✉
    23. Info Line 320, column 0: start tag was here .

    Moose!</h2></li>

    24. Error Line 324, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    25. Error Line 325, column 21: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Movie!</h2></li>

    ✉
    26. Error Line 325, column 69: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...>Click to Play Ice Carving Enter Movie!</h2></li>

    ✉
    27. Info Line 325, column 0: start tag was here .

    Movie!</h2></li>

    28. Error Line 330, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    29. Error Line 331, column 24: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Carvings</h2></li>

    ✉
    30. Error Line 331, column 78: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...first Movie about Ice Carvings</h2></li>

    ✉
    31. Info Line 331, column 0: start tag was here .

    Carvings</h2></li>

    32. Error Line 335, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    33. Error Line 336, column 24: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Carvings</h2></li>

    ✉
    34. Error Line 336, column 79: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...cond Movie about Ice Carvings</h2></li>

    ✉
    35. Info Line 336, column 0: start tag was here .

    Carvings</h2></li>

    36. Error Line 340, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    37. Error Line 341, column 21: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Sleds</h2></li>

    ✉
    38. Error Line 341, column 73: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...o Play second Movie about Ice Sleds</h2></li>

    ✉
    39. Info Line 341, column 0: start tag was here .

    Sleds</h2></li>

    40. Error Line 345, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    41. Error Line 346, column 24: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    ✉
    42. Error Line 346, column 60: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ✉
    43. Info Line 346, column 0: start tag was here .

    44. Error Line 350, column 3: document type does not allow element
    "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag .

    <li>

    ✉
    45. Error Line 351, column 21: document type does not allow element
    "H2" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"
    start-tag .

    Movie!</h2></li>

    ✉
    46. Error Line 351, column 70: end tag for "FONT" omitted, but its
    declaration does not permit this .

    ...lick to Play Pillsbury Mountain Movie!</h2></li>

    ✉
    47. Info Line 351, column 0: start tag was here .

    Movie!</h2></li>

    48. Error Line 356, column 31: required attribute "TYPE" not
    specified .

    <script LANGUAGE = "JavaScript">

    ✉
    49. Error Line 397, column 6: end tag for "HTML" which is not
    finished .

    Most likely, You nested tags and closed them in the wrong order.

    Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a
    child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is
    "not finished", not complete. For instance, <head> generally requires a
    <title>, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so
    on.

    ✉

    Source Listing

    Below is the source input I used for this validation:

    1. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    2. "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    3.
    4. <html>
    5. <head>
    6. <!-- Part of this example is from JavaScript: The Definitive
    Guide, 3rd Edition. -->
    7. <!-- That book and this example were Written by David Flanagan.
    -->
    8. <!-- They are Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998 O'Reilly &
    Associates. -->
    9. <!-- This example is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY either expressed
    or implied.-->
    10. <!-- You may study, use, modify, and distribute it for any
    purpose, -->
    11. <!-- as long as this notice is retained. -->
    12.
    13. <title>Alaska Virtual tour</title>
    14.
    15.
    16. <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT>
    17. <!-- Hide script from old browsers
    18. // This script copyright 1997, Tom Negrino and Dori Smith.
    19. // This script is from "JavaScript for the WWW, Visual QuickStart
    Guide, 2nd Ed."
    20. // For more information, see
    <http://www.chalcedony.com/javascript/>.
    21. // This script may be used and modified, but the copyright notice
    must remain intact.
    22.
    23. myMsg = "Welcome to Alaska Virtual Tour dot
    Com.........................."
    24. i=0
    25.
    26. function scrollMsg() {
    27. window.status = myMsg.substring(i,myMsg.length) +
    myMsg.substring(0,i-1)
    28. if (i < myMsg.length) {
    29. i++
    30. }
    31. else{
    32. i = 0
    33. }
    34. setTimeout("scrollMsg()",50)
    35. }
    36.
    37.
    38. // End hiding script from old browsers -->
    39. </SCRIPT>
    40. <style>
    41.
    42. .fly { color: aqua; font-family: verdana; font-size: 24px;
    position: absolute; visibility: hidden; z-index: 2; }
    43. .logo { font-family: verdana; font-size: 60px; color: #284327;
    position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 80px; visibility: visible; z-index:
    2; }
    44. .pict2 { font-family: verdana; font-size: 60px; color: #284327;
    position: absolute; top: 100px; left: 220px; visibility: visible;
    z-index: 1; }
    45. .desc { text-align: left; font-family: arial; font-size: 14px;
    color: red; position: absolute; top: 600px; left: 190px; width: 500px;
    visibility: hidden; z-index: 0; }
    46. BODY { <body background="starback2.gif">; }
    47. A { color: aqua; }
    48. A:HOVER { color: red; text-decoration : none; }
    49. A:ACTIVE ( color: red; text-decoration : none; }
    50. .abs {position: absolute; color: #FFFFFF; top: 130px; left:
    250px; z-index:0;}
    51.
    52. </style>
    53.
    54. <script language="JavaScript">
    55.
    56.
    57.
    58.
    59. function showObject(object) {
    60. object.visibility = VISIBLE;
    61. }
    62.
    63.
    64. function hideObject(object) {
    65. object.visibility = HIDDEN;
    66. }
    67.
    68.
    69.
    70.
    71. function slideLogo(from, to) {
    72. if (from < to) {
    73. company.top = (from += 10);
    74. setTimeout('slideLogo(' + from + ',' + to + ')', 75);
    75. }
    76. else initObjects();
    77. }
    78.
    79.
    80. function rotateObjects() {
    81.
    82.
    83. if (turnoff==1) {
    84.
    85.
    86. for (var i = 0; i < pos.length; i++) {
    87.
    88. pos += inc; objects.visibility = 'visible';
    89.
    90. objects.left = (r * Math.cos(pos)) + xoff
    91. objects.top = (r * Math.sin(pos)) + yoff;
    92. }
    93. rotateTimer = setTimeout("rotateObjects()", 70);
    94. }
    95.
    96.
    97. if (turnoff==0) {
    98.
    99. for (var i = 0; i < pos.length; i++) {
    100.
    101. pos += inc; objects.visibility = 'hidden';
    102.
    103.
    104.
    105.
    106.
    107.
    108. }
    109.
    110. }
    111. }
    112.
    113. function initObjects() {
    114. objects = new Array(fly1, fly2, fly3, fly4, fly5, fly6, fly7);
    115. pos = new Array();
    116. pos[0] = 0;
    117. for (var i = 1; i < objects.length; i++) {
    118. pos = parseFloat(pos[i - 1] + ((2 * pi) / objects.length));
    119. }
    120. rotateObjects();
    121. }
    122. var house;
    123. var objects;
    124. var pos;
    125. var r = 200; // radius
    126. var xoff = 330; // x offset
    127. var yoff = 250; // y offset
    128. var pi = Math.PI; // get pi
    129. var inc = pi / 180; // degrees per rotation cycle
    130. var objects; // objects to be rotated
    131. var pos; // position for objects
    132. var turnoff=1;
    133.
    134. // function setVisibilitymoose() {
    135. // turnoff=0;
    136. // Player.URL =
    "http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/moose/moose.wmv";
    137. // setVisibility2();
    138. // }
    139.
    140. function setVisibility3() {
    141. turnoff=0;
    142. house.visibility = 'hidden';
    143. }
    144. function setVisibility4() {
    145. turnoff=1;
    146. initObjects();
    147. }
    148.
    149. function startmeup1_1() {
    150. setVisibility3();
    151.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/moose/moose.wmv";
    152. return false;
    153. }
    154. function startmeup1_2() {
    155. setVisibility3();
    156.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/ice/mov00147.wmv";
    157. return false;
    158. }
    159. function startmeup1_3() {
    160. setVisibility3();
    161.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/ice/mov00162.wmv";
    162. return false;
    163. }
    164. function startmeup1_4() {
    165. setVisibility3();
    166.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/ice/mov00161.wmv";
    167. return false;
    168. }
    169. function startmeup1_5() {
    170. setVisibility3();
    171.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/ice/mov00153.wmv";
    172. return false;
    173. }
    174. function startmeup1_6() {
    175. setVisibility3();
    176.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/goose/goose.wmv";
    177. return false;
    178. }
    179. function startmeup1_7() {
    180. setVisibility3();
    181.
    document.all.music.filename="http://easylink.playstream.com/gnewton100/pillsbury/pillsbury1.wmv";
    182. return false;
    183. }
    184. </script>
    185. </head>
    186. <body text="#0130DD" bgcolor="#000000" link="#0130DD"
    vlink="#006400" alink="#0130DD" onLoad="scrollMsg()">
    187.
    188. <div class="abs">
    189.
    190.
    191.
    192. <OBJECT id=music height=300 width=320
    classid=clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95>
    193. <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="-1">
    194. <PARAM NAME="Balance" VALUE="0">
    195. <PARAM NAME="DisplaySize" VALUE="0">
    196. <PARAM NAME="Filename" VALUE="">
    197. <PARAM NAME="Mute" VALUE="0">
    198. <PARAM NAME="SelectionStart" VALUE="-1">
    199. <PARAM NAME="SelectionEnd" VALUE="-1">
    200. <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="false">
    201. <PARAM NAME="ShowAudioControls" VALUE="true">
    202. <PARAM NAME="ShowDisplay" VALUE="0">
    203. <PARAM NAME="ShowPositionControls" VALUE="-1">
    204. <PARAM NAME="Volume" VALUE="0">
    205. <PARAM NAME="AudioStream" VALUE="-1">
    206. <PARAM NAME="AutoSize" VALUE="0">
    207. <PARAM NAME="AnimationAtStart" VALUE="-1">
    208. <PARAM NAME="AllowScan" VALUE="-1">
    209. <PARAM NAME="AllowChangeDisplaySize" VALUE="-1">
    210. <PARAM NAME="AutoRewind" VALUE="1">
    211. <PARAM NAME="BaseURL" VALUE="">
    212. <PARAM NAME="BufferingTime" VALUE="5">
    213. <PARAM NAME="CaptioningID" VALUE="">
    214. <PARAM NAME="ClickToPlay" VALUE="-1">
    215. <PARAM NAME="CursorType" VALUE="0">
    216. <PARAM NAME="CurrentPosition" VALUE="-1">
    217. <PARAM NAME="CurrentMarker" VALUE="0">
    218. <PARAM NAME="DefaultFrame" VALUE="">
    219. <PARAM NAME="DisplayBackColor" VALUE="0">
    220. <PARAM NAME="DisplayForeColor" VALUE="16777215">
    221. <PARAM NAME="DisplayMode" VALUE="0">
    222. <PARAM NAME="Enabled" VALUE="-1">
    223. <PARAM NAME="EnableContextMenu" VALUE="-1">
    224. <PARAM NAME="EnablePositionControls" VALUE="-1">
    225. <PARAM NAME="EnableFullScreenControls" VALUE="0">
    226. <PARAM NAME="EnableTracker" VALUE="-1">
    227. <PARAM NAME="InvokeURLs" VALUE="-1">
    228. <PARAM NAME="Language" VALUE="-1">
    229. <PARAM NAME="PlayCount" VALUE="1">
    230. <PARAM NAME="PreviewMode" VALUE="0">
    231. <PARAM NAME="Rate" VALUE="1">
    232. <PARAM NAME="SAMILang" VALUE="">
    233. <PARAM NAME="SAMIStyle" VALUE="">
    234. <PARAM NAME="SAMIFileName" VALUE="">
    235. <PARAM NAME="SendOpenStateChangeEvents" VALUE="-1">
    236. <PARAM NAME="SendWarningEvents" VALUE="-1">
    237. <PARAM NAME="SendErrorEvents" VALUE="-1">
    238. <PARAM NAME="SendKeyboardEvents" VALUE="0">
    239. <PARAM NAME="SendMouseClickEvents" VALUE="0">
    240. <PARAM NAME="SendMouseMoveEvents" VALUE="0">
    241. <PARAM NAME="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" VALUE="-1">
    242. <PARAM NAME="ShowCaptioning" VALUE="0">
    243. <PARAM NAME="ShowGotoBar" VALUE=0">
    244. <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="true">
    245. <PARAM NAME="ShowTracker" VALUE="-1">
    246. <PARAM NAME="TransparentAtStart" VALUE="false">
    247. <PARAM NAME="VideoBorderWidth" VALUE="0">
    248. <PARAM NAME="VideoBorderColor" VALUE="0">
    249. <PARAM NAME="VideoBorder3D" VALUE="0">
    250. <PARAM NAME="WindowlessVideo" VALUE="0">
    251. </OBJECT>
    252.
    253.
    254. <BR />
    255. Right click in video after video starts to control player.
    256. </div>
    257.
    258.
    259.
    260.
    261.
    262.
    263.
    264.
    265.
    266.
    267.
    268.
    269.
    270.
    271.
    272. <center>
    273. <p><script Language="JavaScript">
    274. if (navigator.appVersion < "4") {
    275. document.write("<font color=\"#FFFFFF\" size=\"2\"
    face=\"verdana\"><b>You really ought to upgrade to a new browser. You
    are really missing out on a lot without version 4 browsers. <a
    href=\"http://home.netscape.com\">Click Here</a> to get Netscape
    4.</b></font>");
    276. }
    277. </script>
    278. </center>
    279.
    280. <div id="fly1" class="fly">
    281. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_1();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc1); window.status='Movie
    about a Moose'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc1); window.status =
    282. </div>
    283.
    284.
    285. <div id="fly2" class="fly">
    286. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_2();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc2); window.status='Enter Ice
    Carvings'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc2); window.status = ''"><image
    src="enter_th.gif" border="0"></a></center>
    287. </div>
    288.
    289. <div id="fly3" class="fly">
    290. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_3();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc3); window.status='Ice
    Carvings No. 1'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc3); window.status =
    291. </div>
    292.
    293. <div id="fly4" class="fly">
    294. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_4();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc4); window.status='Ice
    Carvings No. 2'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc4); window.status =
    295. </div>
    296.
    297. <div id="fly5" class="fly">
    298. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_5();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc5); window.status='Ice Sled
    Ride'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc5); window.status = ''"><image
    src="sled_th.gif" border="0"></a></center>
    299. </div>
    300.
    301. <div id="fly6" class="fly">
    302. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_6();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc6); window.status='Goose
    Movie'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc6); window.status = ''"><image
    src="goose_th.gif" border="0"></a></center>
    303. </div>
    304.
    305. <div id="fly7" class="fly">
    306. <center><a href="javascript:void('')" onclick="startmeup1_7();
    return false" onmouseover="showObject(desc7); window.status='Pillsbury
    Mountain Movie'" onMouseOut="hideObject(desc7); window.status =
    307. </div>
    308.
    309. <div id="company" class="logo">
    310. <center><font face="Serpentine"><font
    311. </div>
    312.
    313. <div id="house" class="pict2">
    315. </div>
    316.
    317.
    318. <div id="desc1" class="desc">
    319. <li>
    320. <font color="orange"><h2>Click to Play a Movie about a
    Moose!</h2></li>
    321. </div>
    322.
    323. <div id="desc2" class="desc">
    324. <li>
    325. <font color="red"><h2>Click to Play Ice Carving Enter
    Movie!</h2></li>
    326. </div>
    327.
    328. <div id="desc3" class="desc">
    329.
    330. <li>
    331. <font color="yellow"><h2>Click to Play first Movie about Ice
    Carvings</h2></li>
    332. </div>
    333.
    334. <div id="desc4" class="desc">
    335. <li>
    336. <font color="orange"><h2>Click to Play second Movie about Ice
    Carvings</h2></li>
    337. </div>
    338.
    339. <div id="desc5" class="desc">
    340. <li>
    341. <font color="red"><h2>Click to Play second Movie about Ice
    Sleds</h2></li>
    342. </div>
    343.
    344. <div id="desc6" class="desc">
    345. <li>
    346. <font color="yellow"><h2>Click to Play Goose Movie!</h2></li>
    347. </div>
    348.
    349. <div id="desc7" class="desc">
    350. <li>
    351. <font color="red"><h2>Click to Play Pillsbury Mountain
    Movie!</h2></li>
    352. </div>
    353.
    354.
    355.
    356. <script LANGUAGE = "JavaScript">
    357.
    358.
    359.
    360. var isNS = (navigator.appName == "Netscape" &&
    parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4);
    361.
    362. var HIDDEN = (isNS) ? 'hide' : 'hidden';
    363. var VISIBLE = (isNS) ? 'show' : 'visible';
    364.
    365. var fly1 = (isNS) ? document.fly1 : document.all.fly1.style;
    366. var fly2 = (isNS) ? document.fly2 : document.all.fly2.style;
    367. var fly3 = (isNS) ? document.fly3 : document.all.fly3.style;
    368. var fly4 = (isNS) ? document.fly4 : document.all.fly4.style;
    369. var fly5 = (isNS) ? document.fly5 : document.all.fly5.style;
    370. var fly6 = (isNS) ? document.fly6 : document.all.fly6.style;
    371. var fly7 = (isNS) ? document.fly7 : document.all.fly7.style;
    372.
    373. var company = (isNS) ? document.company :
    document.all.company.style;
    374. var desc1 = (isNS) ? document.desc1 : document.all.desc1.style;
    375. var desc2 = (isNS) ? document.desc2 : document.all.desc2.style;
    376. var desc3 = (isNS) ? document.desc3 : document.all.desc3.style;
    377. var desc4 = (isNS) ? document.desc4 : document.all.desc4.style;
    378. var desc5 = (isNS) ? document.desc5 : document.all.desc5.style;
    379. var desc6 = (isNS) ? document.desc6 : document.all.desc6.style;
    380. var desc7 = (isNS) ? document.desc7 : document.all.desc7.style;
    381. var house = (isNS) ? document.company : document.all.house.style;
    382. slideLogo(0, 500);
    383. // slideHome(0, 200);
    384.
    385.
    386. </script>
    387.
    388.
    389.
    390.
    391.
    392.
    393.
    394.
    395.
    396. </body>
    397. </html>

    Valid XHTML 1.0! The W3C Validator Team

    The W3C is supported by many computer companies since most see the need
    for standards. In fact Microsoft likely contributes more money to the
    W3C than any other company. It also has people on many of the W3C
    committees. Unfortunately, they have not brought their IE6 browser
    fully up to standards yet, and the IE7 appears to be a stop-gap.
    Microsoft has done some browser work for small devices, etc since they
    released the IE6, but for years they did little for the full PC version
    of IE6. In the meantime other browser providers moved ahead. The
    problem is likely that Microsoft diverted most of their programming
    experts to the new OS that has been delayed many times because of
    problems, and it has been about 5 years since the XP OS was introduced.

    Lines 6-8. Your reference is way out of date. Javascript has changed a
    lot since the 90s. I have the 2002 4'th ed. by Flanagan, but even it is
    now somewhat out of date. You will find discussions of many of the
    newer aspects of javascript in the FAQs for this group.

    Line 151 and elsewhere. You use document.all rather than the standard
    document.getElementById. The document.all and document.layers notation
    were non official codes uses in the browser war era at the time when
    IE4 and Netscape browsers were the most recent things. Recent Microsoft
    browsers will support document.getElementById, so there is no reason to
    use document.all and thus exclude most other moder browsers. One
    exception is that Opera will also support document.all as well as the
    now standard document.getElementById.

    If some of the other errors are not apparent, you can find discussion
    of some of them in the FAQs for this group, and many people who post
    here likely can answer you concerning them.

    It really is no more trouble to write modern code for video than it is
    to write outmoded code. However nearly everything in the computer field
    changes rapidly, so one has to keep up to date.

    Since you are so fond of Microsoft, I am surprised that you used
    Javascript rather than Microsoft's version called JScript. I still see
    this used a bit, but mainly by Microsoft employees.

    I did find your videos well photographed and interesting viewing. Thus
    I do hope you will be able to update the code for the page in the
    future, if you can ever find time.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 27, 2006
  9. chrisdude911

    Randy Webb Guest

    said the following on 3/27/2006 4:35 AM:
    > <This is the worst example of a page for playing video files that I
    > have
    > seen in a long time, and one should avoid it unless you are only using
    > a page on a network where you know only recent IE browsers are used.>
    >

    > The fact is 98 per cent of the Internet users use IE5 or better. No
    > private network is required.
    > Click on my webstat counter at the bottom electrician.com and read the
    > stats for about a million hits.

    Everything in that paragraph is useless though. First, 98% of the
    Internet doesn't use IE5 or better. The percentage of IE5 or better
    users is precisely ~94.13242%

    Second, webstat counters on a site such as yours is completely useless
    if you want to argue about usage.

    > If you do not use IE 5+ you are not in compliance with 98 percent of
    > the users of my sites.

    Are we talking about the general Internet users or the users of your
    site? The audience is totally different.

    > I simply don't have the time to mess with the Netscape, Firefox, and
    > Opera minority.

    And that is your choice to make.

    > As far as I am concerned Microsoft is the standard bearer, not the W3C people.

    Ironically, I agree with that but not for the reasons you think I do.

    > We have all seen where Netscape went by being W3C compliant.

    Being W3C compliant is not what led to the downfall of Netscape. AOL
    buying Netscape was it's downfall.

    > I wrote several JavaScript programs from 1996 to 1999.

    It doesn't surprise me that it would take you three years to write
    several scripts.

    > Then after spending six weeks writing a program would have to spend another
    > two weeks making it compatible with Netscape.

    OK, 6 weeks to make it work in IE and only 2 weeks to make it work in
    Netscape and you say that NS was the trouble browser?

    > Never again! Hey if you don't want to use IE go somewhere else.
    > The Internet world will go on spinning right on by you.

    For a few more years anyway.
    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Mar 28, 2006