Video Mode 13h and Mode X in C

Krish Bashwari

Hello

I am seeking the best way (speed and portability) to program
mode 13h (320 x 200 256 colors), and mode X.

I am using Borland's Turbo C++ ver 3.0 for MS DOS.
With Borland product, I can not find a BGI driver for this mode.
I know there are built in support for the other VGA modes
(640 x 200 x 16 colors), (640 x 350 x 16 colors).. but I am not
interested in those.

What are your suggestions. Do I have to write my own C and ASM routines
to do Mode 13h and Mode X? I could not find an updated BGI driver
from Borland.

Secondly, I am planning to port all of the MS DOS code to Windows.
I would appreciate some code design tips to reduce the amount of
work rewriting video code from DOS to Windows.

I know MS C compiler has Mode 13h support built in, but I do not
have MS C compiler. By the way, is there Mode X support in MS C compiler.

Thank You

Single Stage to Orbit

Hello

I am seeking the best way (speed and portability) to program
mode 13h (320 x 200 256 colors), and mode X.

I am using Borland's Turbo C++ ver 3.0 for MS DOS.
With Borland product, I can not find a BGI driver for this mode.
I know there are built in support for the other VGA modes
(640 x 200 x 16 colors), (640 x 350 x 16 colors).. but I am not
interested in those.

What are your suggestions. Do I have to write my own C and ASM routines
to do Mode 13h and Mode X? I could not find an updated BGI driver
from Borland.

You're in luck, the following comes with a 320x200 BGI driver, see:

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker/misc/DEVEL/0076/BGIKIT.TXT

J. J. Farrell

Krish said:

Also still need tips for portable coding to help port video code from DOS
to Windows.

You're more likely to find people who know about that sort of thing in a
group for DOS or Windows programming. I don't have any pointers, but a
search should find some suitable places; I know they exist.