Video Mode 13h and Mode X in C

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Krish Bashwari, Sep 25, 2011.

  1. Hello

    I am seeking the best way (speed and portability) to program
    mode 13h (320 x 200 256 colors), and mode X.

    I am using Borland's Turbo C++ ver 3.0 for MS DOS.
    With Borland product, I can not find a BGI driver for this mode.
    I know there are built in support for the other VGA modes
    (640 x 200 x 16 colors), (640 x 350 x 16 colors).. but I am not
    interested in those.

    What are your suggestions. Do I have to write my own C and ASM routines
    to do Mode 13h and Mode X? I could not find an updated BGI driver
    from Borland.

    Secondly, I am planning to port all of the MS DOS code to Windows.
    I would appreciate some code design tips to reduce the amount of
    work rewriting video code from DOS to Windows.

    I know MS C compiler has Mode 13h support built in, but I do not
    have MS C compiler. By the way, is there Mode X support in MS C compiler.

    Thank You

    Krish Bashwari, Sep 25, 2011

  2. On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 20:41 +0000, Krish Bashwari wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am seeking the best way (speed and portability) to program
    > mode 13h (320 x 200 256 colors), and mode X.
    >
    > I am using Borland's Turbo C++ ver 3.0 for MS DOS.
    > With Borland product, I can not find a BGI driver for this mode.
    > I know there are built in support for the other VGA modes
    > (640 x 200 x 16 colors), (640 x 350 x 16 colors).. but I am not
    > interested in those.
    >
    > What are your suggestions. Do I have to write my own C and ASM routines
    > to do Mode 13h and Mode X? I could not find an updated BGI driver
    > from Borland.

    You're in luck, the following comes with a 320x200 BGI driver, see:

    http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker/misc/DEVEL/0076/BGIKIT.TXT
    --
    Tactical Nuclear Kittens

    Single Stage to Orbit, Sep 25, 2011

  3. On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:04:48 +0100, Single Stage to Orbit wrote:

    > On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 20:41 +0000, Krish Bashwari wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am seeking the best way (speed and portability) to program mode 13h
    >> (320 x 200 256 colors), and mode X.
    >>
    >> I am using Borland's Turbo C++ ver 3.0 for MS DOS. With Borland
    >> product, I can not find a BGI driver for this mode. I know there are
    >> built in support for the other VGA modes (640 x 200 x 16 colors), (640
    >> x 350 x 16 colors).. but I am not
    >> interested in those.
    >>
    >> What are your suggestions. Do I have to write my own C and ASM routines
    >> to do Mode 13h and Mode X? I could not find an updated BGI driver from
    >> Borland.

    > You're in luck, the following comes with a 320x200 BGI driver, see:
    >
    > http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker/misc/DEVEL/0076/BGIKIT.TXT

    This looks great, unfortunately I don't see any links to the files in the
    file listing! Any pointers.

    Also still need tips for portable coding to help port video code from DOS
    to Windows.

    Thank You.

    Krish Bashwari, Sep 26, 2011
  4. Krish Bashwari wrote:

    > Also still need tips for portable coding to help port video code from DOS
    > to Windows.

    You're more likely to find people who know about that sort of thing in a
    group for DOS or Windows programming. I don't have any pointers, but a
    search should find some suitable places; I know they exist.

    J. J. Farrell, Sep 27, 2011
  5. Krish Bashwari

    James Guest

    James, Sep 27, 2011