video/movie (mpeg, qt, whatever) creation info... where to find

Dean Arpajian

Looking to find info/ libs on creating (small) video files.

Basically what I'm looking for is a tutorial for constructing a short
video... (nothing nasty: output from a transmission line simulation).

I've been searching for a while now, and all I get is info for creation
inside someone else's app. Rather useless for me.

The sim needs to be web accessible. So I was thinking mpeg, quicktime,
wmv, avi, etc.

Links to useful sdks or libs would also help... Something like a movie
equivalent of Boutell's "gd" would be nice. Please no mac or windows
only sdk/ libs, I'll be building and serving this on a linux box (or
possibly a sparc).

tia,

dean

Victor Bazarov

Dean said:
Looking to find info/ libs on creating (small) video files.
[...]
I'll be building and serving this on a linux box (or
possibly a sparc).

And what's the reason you didn't start by posting this inquiry
to comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Dean Arpajian

Victor said:
Dean said:
Looking to find info/ libs on creating (small) video files.
[...]
I'll be building and serving this on a linux box (or possibly a sparc).

And what's the reason you didn't start by posting this inquiry
to comp.os.linux.development.apps?

er, um, actually, the platform is rather irrelevant... I simply
mentioned the linux box so that i wouldn't get a bunch of windows or mac
specific api links.

So if I said (for example) that I was looking for examples regarding
overloading some function, and mentioned that I didn't want, say, boland
specific info, cause i was playing on a sparc, I should post it the
question to comp.sys.sun.apps?

I'm looking for generic info. This may be end up on a linux box, a
solaris box, a BSD box, a macOS_X box... It depends upon what server I
end up puting it on... I just happen to be currently doing proof of
concept on a linux box. Since ultimately, this will accept input from
apache (via a post) and sends data back to apache... I guess then I
should post my question to an apache group???? Yeah.

I looked for an appropriate video group. didn't find one... looked at
mpeg groups... well, geee, I don't really need movies of blondes and
goats...

Sorry that I thought that comp.lang.c++ was for generic c++ questions.

-dean

Victor Bazarov

Dean said:
Victor said:
Dean said:
Looking to find info/ libs on creating (small) video files.
[...]
I'll be building and serving this on a linux box (or possibly a sparc).

And what's the reason you didn't start by posting this inquiry
to comp.os.linux.development.apps?

er, um, actually, the platform is rather irrelevant...
Really?

I simply
mentioned the linux box so that i wouldn't get a bunch of windows or mac
specific api links.

So, the platform _is_ relevant, otherwise you wouldn't care if you get
"windows or mac specific api links", would you?
So if I said (for example) that I was looking for examples regarding
overloading some function, and mentioned that I didn't want, say, boland
specific info, cause i was playing on a sparc, I should post it the
question to comp.sys.sun.apps?

Depends. Function overloading is definitely a C++ feature whereas MPEG,
QT, video/movie, creation is definitely not. If you need help with some
compiler-specific elements of overloading (name mangling, for example),
you definitely should go to a compiler-specific newsgroup.
I'm looking for generic info.

On movie creation? In a _language_ newsgroup??
This may be end up on a linux box, a
solaris box, a BSD box, a macOS_X box...

So, you do care about MacOS, after all?
It depends upon what server I
end up puting it on... I just happen to be currently doing proof of
concept on a linux box. Since ultimately, this will accept input from
apache (via a post) and sends data back to apache... I guess then I
should post my question to an apache group???? Yeah.

Yes, you should then, if connectivity with Apache server is what you
are going to ask about.
I looked for an appropriate video group. didn't find one... looked at
mpeg groups... well, geee, I don't really need movies of blondes and
goats...

So, how much time did you spend looking, ten seconds?
Sorry that I thought that comp.lang.c++ was for generic c++ questions.

Yes, it is for generic _C++_ questions. Yours doesn't qualify. You
have asked about movie making. How can a _language_ newsgroup help you?
MPEG, QT, video/movie, are not part of the _language_ definition. Open
a file using an object of type 'std::eek:fstream' and write to it using
'write' member function. That's all C++ knows about MPEG.

If you want to find a library, look on Google for a library. If you want
to find details of what MPEG is and how to write it, look on Google for
a description of the MPEG format and libraries that work with it. If you
need Quicktime, look on Google for Quicktime (yes, MacOS is something that
you will get the most of). If you don't know where to look, your OS NG
is the first thing that you should think of.

The last thing I can suggest is looking for "Available C++ Libraries FAQ"
post by Nikki Locke, on groups.google.com. Nikki posts a brief message
every month or so, there is a link, and some information. Whether it does
contain any video-writing libraries is unknown to me.