Video-on-demand with Java Media Framework

Discussion in 'Java' started by Marek Berkan, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Marek Berkan

    Marek Berkan Guest

    Hello.

    I have a question: by using Java and the Media Framework Package can you do
    something like a video-on-demand, working in the following manner:

    * server (Java daemon) has a pool of mpg files and awaits for client
    demands,
    * the server can handle an unlimited number of connections simultaneously
    (java application or and applet),
    * every client can demand to play any file from any location,
    * every client can control the playing file, meaning stop it, continue, move
    to a desired place.

    I'll be grateful for opinions or links where I could find more information.

    Best regards
    Marek Berkan

    Marek Berkan, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Marek Berkan

    P. Flavin Guest

    You can play multiple animated video clips ( .mov, .mpg, .avi )

    in a browser and allow the user control of starting, stoping,
    replaying the animation, and actually controlling the speed.

    Some of these video clips were created with Java from 3d models
    using VRML and Java3d and animations from the US Navy PGS,
    US NIST, and US NSF research projects including Fingerspelling.

    Human Animation: NSF Finger Spelling: VRML & Java3d & JMF
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/fingerspelling_nsf_jmf.html

    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/ani_finger_spelling_java3d.gif
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/finger_spelling_cvid.mov
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/Ani/fingerspell.mov

    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3d_and_vrml.html

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pBZra.68791$

    Java Video Player ( Java Media Framework - JMF ) in browser.
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/gait_analysis_tutor.html

    Marek Berkan wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have a question: by using Java and the Media Framework Package can you do
    > something like a video-on-demand, working in the following manner:
    >
    > * server (Java daemon) has a pool of mpg files and awaits for client
    > demands,
    > * the server can handle an unlimited number of connections simultaneously
    > (java application or and applet),
    > * every client can demand to play any file from any location,
    > * every client can control the playing file, meaning stop it, continue, move
    > to a desired place.
    >
    > I'll be grateful for opinions or links where I could find more information.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Marek Berkan

    Human Animation in a browser of Web3d.org's VRML Avatars
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_loaders_working.html

    -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator.
    ---------------------------------------
    Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard

    P. Flavin, Oct 5, 2003

  3. hi,

    the JMF does not support Video-on-demand because it has no server side RTSP
    support. You have to add this manually. You can have a look at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/streamp2p . You will find a server which is
    based on JMF (download from cvs or take the binaries). You can try streaming
    with jpeg files (use jmstudio to create them).

    Michael

    Michael Meyer, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Marek Berkan

    P. Flavin Guest

    Michael Meyer wrote:

    > the JMF does not support Video-on-demand ...

    http://www.xasa.com/grupos/comp/article.php?id=37312&group=comp.lang.vrml

    Well, except where it does support it ...

    This plays multiple video streams and can play them
    without waiting for the whole thing to download
    ( as I've just re-verified on Linux with Mozilla ):

    View Multiple Videos ( you choose ) with Java Media Framework

    ( "Gait Analyis" Motion Capture for 3d simulation )

    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/gait_analysis_tutor.html

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/case01/back.mov
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/case01/front.mov
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/case01/right.mov

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/fingerspelling_nsf_jmf.html
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/finger_spelling_cvid.mov
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/Avatars/asl_jen_az.wrl

    This plays at the users control any of several
    views of a girl walking for the purpose of
    Motion Capture for 3d modeling of Gait Analysis.

    Double click on "Right", "Front", "Back",
    and you can also control the __ Speed __.

    Your proposed solution ( below ) is probably
    better for large file sizes, but I know with
    absolute certainty that the JMF can play
    multiple video streams at the users command
    because this program does it.

    You can create Movies from VRML animation files with
    Java3d and play them with the Java Media Framework.

    Michael Meyer wrote :

    > the JMF does not support Video-on-demand
    > because it has no server side RTSP support.
    >
    > You have to add this manually.
    > You can have a look at
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/streamp2p
    >
    > You will find a server which is based on JMF
    > download from cvs or take the binaries).
    > You can try streaming with jpeg files
    > (use jmstudio to create them).
    >
    > Michael

    http://www.xasa.com/grupos/comp/article.php?id=37312&group=comp.lang.vrml

    Web3d.org's VRML Avatars can be animated in a browser
    with Sun's Xj3d / VRML Loaders, in a browser.

    The criminal fraud of Justin Couch and Sandy Ressler
    in harms deaf children, hurts US industry, and Web users.

    |------------------------------------------------------------
    | in your browser, without a plug-in.
    |
    | New: VRML Finger Spelling + Java3d + JMF --> Video
    |
    | Sun's VRML Loaders create VRML animation in a browser:
    |
    | NSF Fingerspelling for the Deaf rendered with Java3d
    |
    | creating a GIF animation and a ".mov" video clip you can see
    |
    | in a web page with the Java Media Framework, and you can
    | control the speed of the video play-back ( using Sun's JMF ).
    |
    | Human Animation: NSF Finger Spelling: VRML & Java3d & JMF
    | ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/fingerspelling_nsf_jmf.html

    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/ani_finger_spelling_java3d.gif
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/media/finger_spelling_cvid.mov
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/javajava/Ani/fingerspell.mov

    | Finger Spelling Avatar: You Pose with your VRML plug-in
    | ------------------------------------------( VRML EAI Java )
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/Avatars/asl_jen_az.wrl
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/seamless_avatars.html
    ^-- For more information on H-Anim Avatars, Norman Badler, & Babski

    | Criminal fraudsters at Yumetech.com, the US NIST, & Prentice-Hall
    | have betrayed their professional obligations and our community
    | and our country and falsely & fraudulently claimed the
    | Sun VRML Loaders cannot animate Web3d.org's VRML based H-Anim Avatars:
    |
    | They Can ! They Do !
    |
    | The Great Australian Programmer claims everyone on
    | the Java3d-list but he & all American Programmers are too stupid
    | to animate Web3d.org's H-Anim with Java3d using Sun's Loaders.
    |
    | Don't believe the lies from Justin Couch & Prentice-Hall.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pBZra.68791$

    -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
    Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard

    P. Flavin, Oct 7, 2003