View Source

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Allison McGhee, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. I have IE 6 on XP and I don't seem to be able to do "View Source", is there
    a way to correct that?

    thanks
     
    Allison McGhee, Jan 4, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David Dorward, Jan 4, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Allison McGhee

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Mcploppy ©, Jan 4, 2004
    #3
  4. Allison McGhee

    Steve R. Guest

    Allison McGhee wrote in message ...
    > I have IE 6 on XP and I don't seem to be able to do "View Source", is

    there
    > a way to correct that?


    What happens if you try to do that?

    It may be just a case of clearing your 'temporary internet files' which is
    why it sometimes happens.

    Have a read of this ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306907

    Steve.
     
    Steve R., Jan 4, 2004
    #4
  5. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
    #5
  6. Allison McGhee

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306907
    >>... better yet - use a decent browser.

    >
    >
    > There are no better browsers. Only equivalent browsers with different
    > sets of quirks.


    Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ======================================================
    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    ------------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    ======================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Jan 4, 2004
    #6
  7. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > There are no better browsers. Only equivalent browsers with different
    > > sets of quirks.

    > Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    > are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.


    It is all a matter of personal preference.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
    #7
  8. Whitecrest wrote:
    >>>There are no better browsers. Only equivalent browsers with different
    >>>sets of quirks.

    >>
    >>Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    >>are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

    >
    > It is all a matter of personal preference.


    You mean like preferring something which works? Yeah, I guess that is a
    matter of preference.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 4, 2004
    #8
  9. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Cz%Jb.791$>,
    says...
    > >>Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    > >>are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

    > > It is all a matter of personal preference.

    > You mean like preferring something which works? Yeah, I guess that is a
    > matter of preference.


    ZZZZZZZZZZ

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
    #9
  10. Allison McGhee

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>>There are no better browsers. Only equivalent browsers with different
    >>>sets of quirks.

    >>
    >>Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    >>are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

    >
    >
    > It is all a matter of personal preference.


    To some degree, yes. But hardly "all". For example, one cannot argue
    that there are browsers which are better with regard to support of
    standards. One cannot argue that there are browsers which are more
    customizable (themes, extensions). One cannot argue that there are
    browsers which have more useful features (native pop-up blocking,
    superior cookie controls, etc.) than others. I would also add in speed
    and stability, but those may vary by user, system, and usage.

    And yes, in case it isn't apparent, I'm referring to the Mozilla family
    of browsers as compared to IE.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ======================================================
    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    ------------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    ======================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Jan 5, 2004
    #10
  11. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >>Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    > >>are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

    > > It is all a matter of personal preference.

    > To some degree, yes. But hardly "all". For example, one cannot argue
    > that there are browsers which are better with regard to support of
    > standards. One cannot argue that there are browsers which are more
    > customizable (themes, extensions). One cannot argue that there are
    > browsers which have more useful features (native pop-up blocking,
    > superior cookie controls, etc.) than others. I would also add in speed
    > and stability, but those may vary by user, system, and usage....


    All personal preference. Nothing more. Why are there different cars
    with the exact same specs? Why doesn't everyone use the same operating
    system? Why are there more than 1 brand of anything? 2 can openers.
    One black one white. Why are there different colors for the exact same
    thing? The functionality is the same on both? It is because different
    people like different things.

    Which one has what _YOU_ consider better features or more features,
    better w3c compliance? None of that makes any difference. If the one
    you use, does what you want it to, then you use it. One would like to
    pretend that there is more involved, but there isn't. You can not write
    rules that tell me what I like and what I dislike.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 5, 2004
    #11
  12. "Kevin Scholl" <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    >
    > And yes, in case it isn't apparent, I'm referring to the Mozilla family
    > of browsers as compared to IE.


    Does that mean IE is the winner? Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks
    then Mozilla.


    Regards,
    Sam
     
    Samuël van Laere, Jan 5, 2004
    #12
  13. "Kevin Scholl" <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    >
    > Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    > are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.


    What is the best way to ensure i get the best quirks available in today's
    webbrowsers?
    So basicly i wanna know what browser has the best quirks :)


    Regards,
    Sam
     
    Samuël van Laere, Jan 5, 2004
    #13
  14. Allison McGhee

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    >>And yes, in case it isn't apparent, I'm referring to the Mozilla family
    >>of browsers as compared to IE.

    >
    >
    > Does that mean IE is the winner?


    I think not. :)

    > Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks then Mozilla.


    Why would you want "better" quirks? Quirks implies that there is
    something wrong with basic operation.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ======================================================
    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    ------------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    ======================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Jan 6, 2004
    #14
  15. Allison McGhee

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:27:53 GMT, Samuël van Laere declared in alt.html:
    >
    > Does that mean IE is the winner? Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks
    > then Mozilla.
    >


    Better quirks or more quirks? It certainly has more quirks, whether they
    are better is a matter of opinion.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
     
    Mark Parnell, Jan 6, 2004
    #15
  16. Allison McGhee

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>>>Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
    >>>>are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.
    >>>
    >>>It is all a matter of personal preference.

    >>
    >>To some degree, yes. But hardly "all". For example, one cannot argue
    >>that there are browsers which are better with regard to support of
    >>standards. One cannot argue that there are browsers which are more
    >>customizable (themes, extensions). One cannot argue that there are
    >>browsers which have more useful features (native pop-up blocking,
    >>superior cookie controls, etc.) than others. I would also add in speed
    >>and stability, but those may vary by user, system, and usage....

    >
    >
    > All personal preference. Nothing more. Why are there different cars
    > with the exact same specs? Why doesn't everyone use the same operating
    > system? Why are there more than 1 brand of anything? 2 can openers.
    > One black one white. Why are there different colors for the exact same
    > thing? The functionality is the same on both? It is because different
    > people like different things.


    None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.

    > Which one has what _YOU_ consider better features or more features,
    > better w3c compliance? None of that makes any difference. If the one
    > you use, does what you want it to, then you use it. One would like to
    > pretend that there is more involved, but there isn't. You can not write
    > rules that tell me what I like and what I dislike.


    I don't believe I, or anyone else, is trying to tell you what to like or
    dislike. But contrary to what you claim above, these are not personal
    preferences. Better standards support is not a preference; it's a
    qualitative comparison. More customization options is a quantitative
    comparison, which in turn allows for more personal preference. Similar
    with a larger feature set. And certainly speed and stability are not
    preferences, as they are mathematically measurable.

    Sure, someone can choose to use anything they want, but that doesn't
    necessarily make it better in general. I choose to drive a Saturn, and
    it suits my needs rather nicely, no complaints. But a Saturn would never
    be mistaken as an overall better car than, say, a DeLorean.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ======================================================
    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    ------------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    ======================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Jan 6, 2004
    #16
  17. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <10ifnb2uq15pv$.j9ypf1lph7wt$>,
    says...
    > > Does that mean IE is the winner? Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks
    > > then Mozilla.

    > Better quirks or more quirks? It certainly has more quirks, whether they
    > are better is a matter of opinion.


    Kind of like personal choice..... hmmmm that sounds familiar...

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 6, 2004
    #17
  18. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.


    It is EXACTLY about what you mentioned. You just refuse to admit it.

    > I don't believe I, or anyone else, is trying to tell you what to like or
    > dislike...


    > ..But contrary to what you claim above, these are not personal
    > preferences. Better standards support is not a preference..
    > ...it's a
    > qualitative comparison....
    > Sure, someone can choose to use anything they want, but that doesn't
    > necessarily make it better in general. I choose to drive a Saturn, and
    > it suits my needs rather nicely, no complaints.


    > But a Saturn would never
    > be mistaken as an overall better car than, say, a DeLorean.


    A Saturn is by far a better over all car than a DeLorian. The parts are
    more accessible, it is cheaper, It is not stolen as much, you are less
    likely to get a traffic ticket. A Saturn HAND down will beat a DeLorian
    every time.

    Hmmmm all of these things are measurable too. And they are the things
    that are important to me. Those other facts, like Hand made, or wing
    doors, or luxury car, mean nothing to me. The facts I pointed out are
    more important to me than anything else you could mention. So to ME, the
    DeLorian sux compared to a Saturn. My preference is to buy the best
    overall car. To me, that is a Saturn, NOT a DeLorian. So the "FACTS"
    that you think are important, which make the DeLorian a better car, are
    not the Facts that Are important to me. See, we are both showing FACTS,
    but different ones are important to different people. (It's that damn
    personal preferences thing)

    Since NONE of the browsers support 100% of the"Standards" You have to
    make a CHOICE (there's that word again) Which browsers supports the
    pieces of the "standards" that I like?

    IE does it for me. Personal choice nothing more, nothing less. Stop
    fooling yourself into thinking it is anything different.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 6, 2004
    #18
  19. Allison McGhee

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    >>None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.

    >
    >
    > It is EXACTLY about what you mentioned. You just refuse to admit it.


    No, it's not. I'm differentiating between preference and measurable
    quality. The only refusal is from you, refusal that these are two
    different criteria.

    >>I don't believe I, or anyone else, is trying to tell you what to like or
    >>dislike...

    >
    >
    >>..But contrary to what you claim above, these are not personal
    >>preferences. Better standards support is not a preference..
    >>...it's a
    >>qualitative comparison....
    >>Sure, someone can choose to use anything they want, but that doesn't
    >>necessarily make it better in general. I choose to drive a Saturn, and
    >>it suits my needs rather nicely, no complaints.

    >
    >
    >>But a Saturn would never
    >>be mistaken as an overall better car than, say, a DeLorean.

    >
    >
    > A Saturn is by far a better over all car than a DeLorian. The parts are
    > more accessible, it is cheaper, It is not stolen as much, you are less
    > likely to get a traffic ticket. A Saturn HAND down will beat a DeLorian
    > every time.
    >
    > Hmmmm all of these things are measurable too. And they are the things
    > that are important to me. Those other facts, like Hand made, or wing
    > doors, or luxury car, mean nothing to me. The facts I pointed out are
    > more important to me than anything else you could mention. So to ME, the
    > DeLorian sux compared to a Saturn. My preference is to buy the best
    > overall car. To me, that is a Saturn, NOT a DeLorian. So the "FACTS"
    > that you think are important, which make the DeLorian a better car, are
    > not the Facts that Are important to me. See, we are both showing FACTS,
    > but different ones are important to different people. (It's that damn
    > personal preferences thing)


    For me, and for my needs, a Saturn is a better car as well. However,
    that doesn't diminish the fact that a DeLorean is a higher quality car.
    Personal preference and individual needs are not the same as measurable
    quality. We can choose to prefer an inferior product, and be perfectly
    content with it, but that doesn't make that product suddenly better in
    qualitative terms. More to our liking, perhaps, but not superior.

    > Since NONE of the browsers support 100% of the"Standards" You have to
    > make a CHOICE (there's that word again) Which browsers supports the
    > pieces of the "standards" that I like?


    But some browsers support more of the standard, and support it better.
    THAT is measurable superiority, regardless of what you LIKE or are
    willing to accept.

    > IE does it for me. Personal choice nothing more, nothing less. Stop
    > fooling yourself into thinking it is anything different.


    I'm not fooling anything. You can like IE better, it may do the job for
    you. But that doesn't mean that it measures up to other options. There
    is a line between personal preference and quality; you can choose to
    ignore that fact. But the simple fact is that not all browsers are on
    the same level.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ======================================================
    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    ------------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    ======================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Jan 7, 2004
    #19
  20. Allison McGhee

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    > >>None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.

    > > It is EXACTLY about what you mentioned. You just refuse to admit it.

    > No, it's not. I'm differentiating between preference and measurable
    > quality. The only refusal is from you, refusal that these are two
    > different criteria.


    No matter what measurable quality you have, it still comes down to
    personal preference as to what browser you use.

    > For me, and for my needs, a Saturn is a better car as well. However,
    > that doesn't diminish the fact that a DeLorean is a higher quality car.
    > Personal preference and individual needs are not the same as measurable
    > quality. We can choose to prefer an inferior product, and be perfectly
    > content with it, but that doesn't make that product suddenly better in


    The in the end, for what ever reason you you want to think is important,
    in the end, your personal preference is what made you choose the Saturn

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
     
    Whitecrest, Jan 7, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. VB Programmer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    634
    VB Programmer
    Jul 10, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmFlZCBTYXdhbGhh?=

    Icon View and list View in ASP.NET

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFlZCBTYXdhbGhh?=, Mar 7, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    527
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFlZCBTYXdhbGhh?=
    Mar 7, 2005
  3. Parthiv Joshi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    750
    Samuel L Matzen
    Jul 6, 2004
  4. andspal

    Updates in Design view not moved to Source view

    andspal, Nov 2, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net Web Controls
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    202
    andspal
    Nov 2, 2006
  5. Jenny
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    276
    Dag Sunde
    Dec 17, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page