Allison McGhee

I have IE 6 on XP and I don't seem to be able to do "View Source", is there
a way to correct that?

thanks

Kevin Scholl

Whitecrest said:
There are no better browsers. Only equivalent browsers with different
sets of quirks.

Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Whitecrest

Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

It is all a matter of personal preference.

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest said:
It is all a matter of personal preference.

You mean like preferring something which works? Yeah, I guess that is a
matter of preference.

Kevin Scholl

Whitecrest said:
It is all a matter of personal preference.

To some degree, yes. But hardly "all". For example, one cannot argue
that there are browsers which are better with regard to support of
standards. One cannot argue that there are browsers which are more
customizable (themes, extensions). One cannot argue that there are
browsers which have more useful features (native pop-up blocking,
superior cookie controls, etc.) than others. I would also add in speed
and stability, but those may vary by user, system, and usage.

And yes, in case it isn't apparent, I'm referring to the Mozilla family
of browsers as compared to IE.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Whitecrest

To some degree, yes. But hardly "all". For example, one cannot argue
that there are browsers which are better with regard to support of
standards. One cannot argue that there are browsers which are more
customizable (themes, extensions). One cannot argue that there are
browsers which have more useful features (native pop-up blocking,
superior cookie controls, etc.) than others. I would also add in speed
and stability, but those may vary by user, system, and usage....

All personal preference. Nothing more. Why are there different cars
with the exact same specs? Why doesn't everyone use the same operating
system? Why are there more than 1 brand of anything? 2 can openers.
One black one white. Why are there different colors for the exact same
thing? The functionality is the same on both? It is because different
people like different things.

Which one has what _YOU_ consider better features or more features,
better w3c compliance? None of that makes any difference. If the one
you use, does what you want it to, then you use it. One would like to
pretend that there is more involved, but there isn't. You can not write
rules that tell me what I like and what I dislike.

Samuël van Laere

Kevin Scholl said:
And yes, in case it isn't apparent, I'm referring to the Mozilla family
of browsers as compared to IE.

Does that mean IE is the winner? Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks
then Mozilla.

Regards,
Sam

Samuël van Laere

Kevin Scholl said:
Yeesh. While every browser has quirks, some have more than others. There
are most definitely browsers that are overall better than others.

What is the best way to ensure i get the best quirks available in today's
webbrowsers?
So basicly i wanna know what browser has the best quirks :)

Regards,
Sam

Kevin Scholl

Samuël van Laere said:
Does that mean IE is the winner?

I think not. :)
Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks then Mozilla.

Why would you want "better" quirks? Quirks implies that there is
something wrong with basic operation.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Mark Parnell

Does that mean IE is the winner? Cause to my knowledge it has better quirks
then Mozilla.

Better quirks or more quirks? It certainly has more quirks, whether they
are better is a matter of opinion.

Kevin Scholl

Whitecrest said:
All personal preference. Nothing more. Why are there different cars
with the exact same specs? Why doesn't everyone use the same operating
system? Why are there more than 1 brand of anything? 2 can openers.
One black one white. Why are there different colors for the exact same
thing? The functionality is the same on both? It is because different
people like different things.

None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.
Which one has what _YOU_ consider better features or more features,
better w3c compliance? None of that makes any difference. If the one
you use, does what you want it to, then you use it. One would like to
pretend that there is more involved, but there isn't. You can not write
rules that tell me what I like and what I dislike.

I don't believe I, or anyone else, is trying to tell you what to like or
dislike. But contrary to what you claim above, these are not personal
preferences. Better standards support is not a preference; it's a
qualitative comparison. More customization options is a quantitative
comparison, which in turn allows for more personal preference. Similar
with a larger feature set. And certainly speed and stability are not
preferences, as they are mathematically measurable.

Sure, someone can choose to use anything they want, but that doesn't
necessarily make it better in general. I choose to drive a Saturn, and
it suits my needs rather nicely, no complaints. But a Saturn would never
be mistaken as an overall better car than, say, a DeLorean.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Whitecrest

Better quirks or more quirks? It certainly has more quirks, whether they
are better is a matter of opinion.

Kind of like personal choice..... hmmmm that sounds familiar...

Whitecrest

None of which pertains to the things I mentioned.

It is EXACTLY about what you mentioned. You just refuse to admit it.
I don't believe I, or anyone else, is trying to tell you what to like or
dislike...
..But contrary to what you claim above, these are not personal
preferences. Better standards support is not a preference..
...it's a
qualitative comparison....
Sure, someone can choose to use anything they want, but that doesn't
necessarily make it better in general. I choose to drive a Saturn, and
it suits my needs rather nicely, no complaints.
But a Saturn would never
be mistaken as an overall better car than, say, a DeLorean.

A Saturn is by far a better over all car than a DeLorian. The parts are
more accessible, it is cheaper, It is not stolen as much, you are less
likely to get a traffic ticket. A Saturn HAND down will beat a DeLorian
every time.

Hmmmm all of these things are measurable too. And they are the things
that are important to me. Those other facts, like Hand made, or wing
doors, or luxury car, mean nothing to me. The facts I pointed out are
more important to me than anything else you could mention. So to ME, the
DeLorian sux compared to a Saturn. My preference is to buy the best
overall car. To me, that is a Saturn, NOT a DeLorian. So the "FACTS"
that you think are important, which make the DeLorian a better car, are
not the Facts that Are important to me. See, we are both showing FACTS,
but different ones are important to different people. (It's that damn
personal preferences thing)

Since NONE of the browsers support 100% of the"Standards" You have to
make a CHOICE (there's that word again) Which browsers supports the
pieces of the "standards" that I like?

IE does it for me. Personal choice nothing more, nothing less. Stop
fooling yourself into thinking it is anything different.

Kevin Scholl

Whitecrest said:
It is EXACTLY about what you mentioned. You just refuse to admit it.

No, it's not. I'm differentiating between preference and measurable
quality. The only refusal is from you, refusal that these are two
different criteria.
[...]

For me, and for my needs, a Saturn is a better car as well. However,
that doesn't diminish the fact that a DeLorean is a higher quality car.
Personal preference and individual needs are not the same as measurable
quality. We can choose to prefer an inferior product, and be perfectly
content with it, but that doesn't make that product suddenly better in
qualitative terms. More to our liking, perhaps, but not superior.
Since NONE of the browsers support 100% of the"Standards" You have to
make a CHOICE (there's that word again) Which browsers supports the
pieces of the "standards" that I like?

But some browsers support more of the standard, and support it better.
THAT is measurable superiority, regardless of what you LIKE or are
willing to accept.
IE does it for me. Personal choice nothing more, nothing less. Stop
fooling yourself into thinking it is anything different.

I'm not fooling anything. You can like IE better, it may do the job for
you. But that doesn't mean that it measures up to other options. There
is a line between personal preference and quality; you can choose to
ignore that fact. But the simple fact is that not all browsers are on
the same level.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Whitecrest

No, it's not. I'm differentiating between preference and measurable
quality. The only refusal is from you, refusal that these are two
different criteria.

No matter what measurable quality you have, it still comes down to
personal preference as to what browser you use.
For me, and for my needs, a Saturn is a better car as well. However,
that doesn't diminish the fact that a DeLorean is a higher quality car.
Personal preference and individual needs are not the same as measurable
quality. We can choose to prefer an inferior product, and be perfectly
content with it, but that doesn't make that product suddenly better in

The in the end, for what ever reason you you want to think is important,
in the end, your personal preference is what made you choose the Saturn