View tiffs

David C

I have a DataList control that shows thumbnails of jpg files. I would like
to be able to show other image types, such as tif files. Can I do that in
..Net 2.0, and if so, how do I display them intermixed with .jpg files?
Thanks.

David

Mark Fitzpatrick

David,
The big problem here is not what types of images something such as a
datalist can handle, it's what types of images browsers can support.
Typically they can support JPG and GIF as well as BMP (which isn't reallly
useful since they're such big files). Also the newer ones can probably
support PNG files as well. Perhaps not Tiffs though. You may need to look at
converting the image thumbnails into another format such a jpg to avoid
issues. This could be done using the .Net Framework itself though something
you may want to look at doing once as opposed to dyunamically whenever the
images are shown in the grid (because it can be a rather processor intensive
operation).