viewcvs install error on solaris

Discussion in 'Python' started by bva, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. bva

    bva Guest

    Hello,

    While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
    following error message:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
    import compat
    File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
    import urllib
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
    import socket
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
    ImportError: No module named _socket

    Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing
    wrong or what I've forgotten?

    TIA
    bva, Jan 16, 2004

  2. bva wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
    > import compat
    > File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
    > import urllib
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
    > import socket
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    > from _socket import *
    > ImportError: No module named _socket
    >
    > Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing
    > wrong or what I've forgotten?

    Apparently, there's a module named "socket" that you don't have installed.

    --
    Jack J. Woehr # Ceterum censeo
    PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402 # in herbas belli
    Jack J. Woehr, Jan 16, 2004

  3. bva <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
    > import compat
    > File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
    > import urllib
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
    > import socket
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    > from _socket import *
    > ImportError: No module named _socket
    >
    > Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm
    > doing wrong or what I've forgotten?

    Your python install lacks the socket module. On Solaris this usually
    means something exciting to do with your SSL install. Who installed
    Python? Complain at them.

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts
    from many other languages & styles: boring syntax, unsurprising
    Michael Hudson, Jan 19, 2004
  4. bva

    bva Guest

    Michael Hudson wrote:
    > bva <> writes:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
    >>following error message:
    >>
    >>Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
    >> import compat
    >> File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
    >> import urllib
    >> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
    >> import socket
    >> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    >> from _socket import *
    >>ImportError: No module named _socket
    >>
    >>Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm
    >>doing wrong or what I've forgotten?

    > Your python install lacks the socket module. On Solaris this usually
    > means something exciting to do with your SSL install. Who installed
    > Python? Complain at them.

    OK I will :) Thx

    bva, Jan 23, 2004
  5. bva

    bva Guest

    I'm less than a newbie in Python. Do you have to download these modules
    seperately or do they come with the default python install?

    bva, Jan 23, 2004