viewcvs install error on solaris

bva

Hello,

While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
import compat
File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
import urllib
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
import socket
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
from _socket import *
ImportError: No module named _socket

Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing
wrong or what I've forgotten?

TIA

Jack J. Woehr

bva said:
Hello,

While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
import compat
File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
import urllib
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
import socket
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
from _socket import *
ImportError: No module named _socket

Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing
wrong or what I've forgotten?

Apparently, there's a module named "socket" that you don't have installed.

Michael Hudson

bva said:
Hello,

While trying to install viewcvs on a solaris 5.9 machine I get the
following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
import compat
File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
import urllib
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
import socket
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
from _socket import *
ImportError: No module named _socket

Python is installed on the machine. Can anybody tell me what I'm
doing wrong or what I've forgotten?

Your python install lacks the socket module. On Solaris this usually
means something exciting to do with your SSL install. Who installed
Python? Complain at them.

Cheers,
mwh

bva

Michael said:
Your python install lacks the socket module. On Solaris this usually
means something exciting to do with your SSL install. Who installed
Python? Complain at them.
OK I will :) Thx

bva

I'm less than a newbie in Python. Do you have to download these modules
seperately or do they come with the default python install?