Viewing asp.net pages in different browsers

Alex

Sorry for the basic questions as I am just starting with
ASP.Net development.

1. The pages show up fine in IE running on PCs, but not
in Netscape or any other browser or even Apple-based IE.
Any suggestions?

2. What is a good place to get some basic info on
stylesheets. The pages show up in different sizes on
different computers.

Alex

Thanks for your reply, Steve. My issue is, however, that
the major part of the page is not showing up AT ALL when
using Netscape. Is there any setting / property that
needs to be modified?

Krissy

Alex said:
Thanks for your reply, Steve. My issue is, however, that
the major part of the page is not showing up AT ALL when
using Netscape. Is there any setting / property that
needs to be modified?

Try this code in your web.config file (place between the <system.web> tags)

<browserCaps>

<case match="Gecko/[-\d]+">

browser=Netscape

frames=true

tables=true

cookies=true

javascript=true

javaapplets=true

ecmascriptversion=1.5

w3cdomversion=1.0

css1=true

css2=true

xml=true

tagwriter=System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter

<case match="rv:1.0[^\.](?'letters'\w*)">

version=6.0

majorversion=6

minorversion=0

<case match="^b" with="${letters}">

beta=true

</case>

</case>

<case match="rv:1(\.\d+)(\.\d)?(?'letters'\w*)">

version=7.0

majorversion=7

minorversion=0

<case match="^b" with="${letters}">

beta=true

</case>

</case>

</case>

</browserCaps>

Kevin Spencer

Sounds like you may have some mismatched table element tags. IE is smart
enough to fill in the gaps; Netscape is not.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Teemu Keiski

As Krissy explained a way to go with server controls, that is when ASP.NEt
produces the proper output based on the client browser, is to tweak the
browser detection via web.config or machine.config. By default IE 5.5 is so
called uplevel browser and gets all the fancy stuff even if for example
Mozilla or Netscape 7 would support almost same stuff, they would still get
downlevel rendering

You can check following links for more details:
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=86795
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=89874

--
Teemu Keiski