Viewing documentation for installed modules

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Benjamin Walkenhorst, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. Hello everyone,

    This is probably a stupid question, but it has been a while since I last
    used Ruby, and I need to refresh my memory.
    I have consulted the search engine of my choice, but without useful
    results. (Although I will admit that my search engine-skills need some
    refreshing, too...)

    In Python, the pydoc command can be used to run a local web server
    through which not only documentation for the standard library but also
    for other installed modules can be viewed. Depending on the environment
    it is called from, pydoc can then even display documentation for python
    modules I wrote myself.

    I think I remember using something similar for ruby, at least for all
    modules installed through gems and via the system's package management
    (although that was on Gentoo, which I think installs nearly all
    Ruby-modules through gem if possible, now I am using Ubuntu), but I
    cannot remember what command to invoke. I kind of remember seeing a web
    interface that showed me what packages I had installed and that allowed
    me to view their documentation, which looked as if it had been created
    with rdoc.

    Is my memory just playing tricks on me?
    If not, could someone kindly point in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance,
    Benjamin Walkenhorst
    Benjamin Walkenhorst, Aug 20, 2008

  2. Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:

    [stupid question]

    Hello everyone,

    Never mind - gem_server was what I was looking for.

    Sorry to bother you,
    Kind regards,
    Benjamin Walkenhorst
    Benjamin Walkenhorst, Aug 20, 2008

  3. Benjamin Walkenhorst

    Zhao Lu Guest

    Thanks Benjamin for answering your own question because that was my
    question as well.

    I have a somewhat related question which I didn't find answer in google.

    I'd like to use ri for my gems I installed instead of view docs in
    browser. How do I do that?

    Thanks,

    Zhao

    --