Viewing site in different browsers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alan Cole, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Alan Cole

    Alan Cole Guest

    Alan Cole, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Alan Cole

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Alan Cole said:

    > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
    > will look in different browsers and different platforms.

    download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
    how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
    and at worst totally false and misleading.

    > Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
    > platforms.

    secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
    people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
    sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
    shit.

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Alan Cole wrote:
    > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
    > will look in different browsers and different platforms.

    There's really no substitute for trying it yourself. Even if the page
    looks all right, you don't know what might happen when it's scrolled,
    hovered, clicked, or interacted with in other ways.

    But if you really can't test it yourself, use one of these services:
    * http://www.danvine.com/icapture/ (free; limited to Safari)
    * http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/ (free; a few Windows browsers)
    * http://www.browsercam.com/ (costly, free trial; lots of browsers)

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Alan Cole

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <>,
    brucie <> wrote:

    > In alt.html Alan Cole said:
    >
    > > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
    > > will look in different browsers and different platforms.

    > download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
    > how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
    > and at worst totally false and misleading.
    >
    > > Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
    > > platforms.

    > secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
    > people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
    > sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
    > shit.

    I know, I use a mac and need to test things on PC's.... I do get others
    who do use PC's to check things for me, but it's not the same as seing
    it for myself... Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a PC at the moment,
    even a 2nd hand one.... Maybe one day.

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

    Alan Cole, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Alan Cole

    kchayka Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Alan Cole wrote:
    >> Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your site
    >> will look in different browsers and different platforms.

    > There's really no substitute for trying it yourself. Even if the page
    > looks all right, you don't know what might happen when it's scrolled,
    > hovered, clicked, or interacted with in other ways.

    Not to mention how the page adapts to different window and text sizes.
    Those 2 things are never accounted for in those screencap services, but
    can be a source of much quirkiness, especially when browser overflow
    behaviors kick in.

    kchayka, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Alan Cole

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > brucie <> wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.html Alan Cole said:
    >>
    >> > Can someone point me to the website that allows you to see how your
    >> > site will look in different browsers and different platforms.

    Try to understand how the different browsers work.
    Find a chart with quirks and standard modes for those browsers.

    >> download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
    >> how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
    >> and at worst totally false and misleading.

    Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.
    To install the other version means to deinstall the installed one.

    >> > Trying to get the hang of CSS layout but need to test things on other
    >> > platforms.

    IE is the most used browser.
    Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes the
    difference.

    >> secondhand computers are very cheap but if its not an option get /real
    >> people/ on the platform you what to check to have a fiddle with your
    >> sites. a screencap from a browser not even used by a human doesn't mean
    >> shit.

    > I know, I use a mac and need to test things on PC's.... I do get others
    > who do use PC's to check things for me, but it's not the same as seing
    > it for myself... Unfortunately I can't afford to buy a PC at the moment,
    > even a 2nd hand one.... Maybe one day.

    It's OK.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Alan Cole

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Jan Faerber <> said:

    > Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

    Such as?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Alan Cole

    Alan Cole Guest

    > IE is the most used browser.
    > Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes the
    > difference.

    I do, I generally use Firefox, but also test in IE, Opera, iCab,
    Omniweb, Netscape, Safari and Camino... The main problem is that all of
    these are on a Mac, so even then i'm only testing for the minority. I do
    e-mail a few friends that have PC's and get them to look at things for
    me, but its not as good as seeing it for myself as they don't really
    know what I want it to look like!

    I suppose I shall have to get a PC one day! :(

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Nov 23, 2004
  9. On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:42:10 +0000, Alan Cole <> wrote:

    >> IE is the most used browser.
    >> Test the pages in less used ones if you want to understand what makes
    >> the difference.

    > I do, I generally use Firefox, but also test in IE, Opera, iCab,
    > Omniweb, Netscape, Safari and Camino... The main problem is that all of
    > these are on a Mac, so even then i'm only testing for the minority. I do
    > e-mail a few friends that have PC's and get them to look at things for
    > me, but its not as good as seeing it for myself as they don't really
    > know what I want it to look like!

    There are two things you can do with that fact:
    1. You upload a screencap of the page, showing how it should look
    according to you;
    2. You can ask if the look and feel are pleasand and if all functions
    well, because if both answers to those questions are 'yes', who cares what
    you wanted it to look like? No one will know that it is perhaps different
    from the original design, if it is different.

    > I suppose I shall have to get a PC one day! :(

    The way I see it, there is absolutely no need for that.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Alan Cole

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, Jan Faerber <> said:
    >
    >> Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

    > Such as?

    When the top poster thinks just getting one PC will bring more browsers to
    him he can have one version of IE and one version of Netscape.
    Installing dual boot systems with different browser versions will cause
    permanent restarts of the other boot selection.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Jan Faerber wrote:
    > When the top poster thinks just getting one PC will bring more browsers to
    > him he can have one version of IE and one version of Netscape.

    Multiple versions of IE [1], multiple versions of Netscape, multiple
    versions of Mozilla, multiple versions of Opera, multiple versions of
    Lynx, multiple versions of Konqueror... I could go on.

    [1] <http://www.quirksmode.org/browsers/multipleie.html>

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 23, 2004
  12. Alan Cole

    Els Guest

    Jan Faerber wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    >> Previously in alt.html, Jan Faerber
    >> <> said:
    >>
    >>> Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

    >> Such as?

    > When the top poster thinks just getting one PC will bring
    > more browsers to him he can have one version of IE and one
    > version of Netscape.

    I have one pc, with 5 versions of IE, 2 versions of Netscape, 3
    versions of Opera, one Firebird and one Firefox, one Mozilla...

    No problem :)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Nov 23, 2004
  13. Alan Cole

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:13:30 GMT, Jan Faerber <>
    wrote:

    > When the top poster thinks just getting one PC will bring more browsers
    > to him he can have one version of IE and one version of Netscape.
    > Installing dual boot systems with different browser versions will cause
    > permanent restarts of the other boot selection.

    I have a single boot Windows machine with three versions of IE, one
    version of Netscape (but I've had up to five versions on previous
    machines), Mozilla, Firefox, Opera (I've had up to three versions
    previously) and Lynx (and previously I've had many more browsers). The
    only browser that makes it at all difficult to install multiple versions
    is IE and there are ways round that -
    http://labs.insert-title.com/labs/article.aspx?ID=795

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Nov 23, 2004
  14. Alan Cole

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Jan Faerber said:
    >
    >> Sometimes you can install only one version of a browser.

    > Such as?

    Internet Explorer is the obvious example, but there are hacks to get
    different versions to live side-by-side. (These hacks aren't perfect, as
    going to the "About" dialog in each version will reveal!)

    Often different versions of the same browser will try to keep your
    settings in the same place. This can occasionally cause problems.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./byrds_-_turn_turn_turn.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Nov 23, 2004
  15. Alan Cole

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Multiple versions of IE [1], multiple versions of Netscape, multiple
    > versions of Mozilla, multiple versions of Opera, multiple versions of
    > Lynx, multiple versions of Konqueror... I could go on.

    One partition of my testing machine (polonius):
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/lots-of-browsers

    I have other partitions with every major release of IE from 2.0 to 5.5 and
    a Linux partition with Konq 3.1, Opera 7.23 and Moz 1.4. And my main
    (Linux) desktop has Opera 7.6tp2, Opera 7.53, Moz 1.6, Lynx, Links,
    eLinks, w3m, Dillo, Nautilus, Firebird 0.6.3, Netscape 4.8 and perhaps
    some others I can't remember.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./ryan_adams/rock_n_roll/03_1974.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Nov 23, 2004
  16. Alan Cole

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote: