Viewing the output of a form post and preserving authentication

Jeremy Phillips

I am trying to build a web form that uses the "POST" method (too much
data for GET) to send data to a second form, then displays the
response of that form post. The second web form requires standard
authentication. I have a solution implemented in which the following
occurs:

1) My website posts form data to a backend cgi script.
2) The script authenticates and sends data to the second form.
3) The script downloads and prints the contents of the response from
the second form to the user's browser window(print
$response->content).

This seems to work fine; however, the content of the response from the
second form contains several links. Clicking on one of these links
requires the user to authenticate, since the server, and not the
client, has been authenticated. I need to do this in a way such that
this second authentication is not neccessary.

What I would really like to do is post the form data and then redirect
to the actual response page on the remote server. However, I have
read several previous posts which seem to indicate that this is nearly
impossible, at least if I want my page to work with more than one
browser.

Does anyone know of another way that I can get around this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeremy

Joe Smith

Jeremy said:
This seems to work fine; however, the content of the response from the
second form contains several links. Clicking on one of these links
requires the user to authenticate, since the server, and not the
client, has been authenticated. I need to do this in a way such that
this second authentication is not neccessary.

What you are asking for appears to be impossible.

nobull

[...]

You would need to edit all the links so that thay are proxied through
your server too.
What I would really like to do is post the form data and then redirect
to the actual response page on the remote server.

You can only do this if the remote server is responding with a
bookmarkable page (i.e. it's either a "FOUND" response or it's got a
Content-location header that can be used to re-fetch the same page
with a GET).

This, of course, has nothing to do with Perl.

This newgroup does not exist (see FAQ). Please do not start threads
here.