ViewState Corrupted in Web Farm

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I get a Viewstate corrupted error on the Web servers(Win2K3, IIS 6.0,
    Application Center 2K SP1, ASP.NET) configured for NLB with no afinity/sticky
    sessions.

    ****Note: The servers are already configured with single/common machine key
    and App Center 2000 SP2 will be installed this week.****

    Complete Error Description:
    --------------------------------

    1) Exception Information
    Exception Type: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException
    ErrorCode: -2147467259
    Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.
    TargetSite: Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)
    HelpLink: NULL

    Source: System.Web

    StackTrace Information
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
    completedSynchronously)

    2) Exception Information
    Exception Type: System.Web.HttpException
    ErrorCode: -2147467259
    Message: The viewstate is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.
    TargetSite: System.Object LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
    HelpLink: NULL
    Source: System.Web

    StackTrace Information
    at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain().

    Thanks in advance for suggestions and pointers.
    Magdelin

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Dec 6, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

    Kumar Reddi Guest

    When are you getting this error. Are you doing any Server.Transfer?
    --
    Kumar Reddi
    http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com

    Kumar Reddi, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Hi Kumar,

    I am not sure. It could have been a server.transfer or a postback.
    Application very rarely uses response.redirect. Error occurs when the user
    works with the website deployed on production servers, configured for NLB. I
    am not allowed to debug the application from the production server. So, I am
    not sure when and why this error occurs.

    I would also like to add that, this error occurs just 2 or 3 times a day and
    to my knowledge I have not used HttpServerUtility.Transfer with "preserve
    querystring and form collections" option.

    I am familiar with the following KB articles:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316920(I have not
    tried enableViewStateMac=false yet.)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812399 ( I am not
    sure if this fix applies to me as I am not using long decimals)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829743 (I have not
    tried enableViewStateMac=false yet.)

    Thanks.
    Magdelin