ViewState Corrupted in Web Farm

Guest

Hi,

I get a Viewstate corrupted error on the Web servers(Win2K3, IIS 6.0,
Application Center 2K SP1, ASP.NET) configured for NLB with no afinity/sticky
sessions.

****Note: The servers are already configured with single/common machine key
and App Center 2000 SP2 will be installed this week.****

Complete Error Description:
--------------------------------

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException
ErrorCode: -2147467259
Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.
TargetSite: Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)
HelpLink: NULL

Source: System.Web

StackTrace Information
at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
completedSynchronously)

2) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Web.HttpException
ErrorCode: -2147467259
Message: The viewstate is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.
TargetSite: System.Object LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
HelpLink: NULL
Source: System.Web

StackTrace Information
at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain().

Thanks in advance for suggestions and pointers.
Magdelin

Guest

Hi Kumar,

I am not sure. It could have been a server.transfer or a postback.
Application very rarely uses response.redirect. Error occurs when the user
works with the website deployed on production servers, configured for NLB. I
am not allowed to debug the application from the production server. So, I am
not sure when and why this error occurs.

I would also like to add that, this error occurs just 2 or 3 times a day and
to my knowledge I have not used HttpServerUtility.Transfer with "preserve
querystring and form collections" option.

I am familiar with the following KB articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316920(I have not
tried enableViewStateMac=false yet.)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812399 ( I am not
sure if this fix applies to me as I am not using long decimals)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829743 (I have not
tried enableViewStateMac=false yet.)

Thanks.
Magdelin