ViewState corrupted?

Velvet

My site is randomly firing off a "ExceptionHttpException : Unable to
validate data. " error on some of its forms.
-------
HttpException : Unable to validate data.
http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile .aspx (Referred
by http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile .aspx)
at System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(By te[] buf,
Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength)
at System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString)
-----------
I am also able to reproduce this error at one of our stores machines,
meaning all of the computers at that location return this error for one
particular application. The other application seem to randomly return this
error. The site is not running on a web farm and I've tried the standard
solutions of specifying a fixed machine validation/encryption key, and I've
also tried disabling the view state mac entirely, but the problem persists.

This application does not have any Server.Transfers in it, so I've ruled
that one out. All post's are done within the same page and then upon
success response.redirect is used to send the user to the next page.

Does anyone have any ideas what setting might be triggering this? Could it
be that my viewstate is corrupted for this application, and if so, how do I
fix it?

Thanks!
Velvet

bruce barker

check if the proxy server is truncating the viewstate. can happen if its
over 2k.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Velvet

This is not going through proxy and the view state is very small compared to
other applications. Additionally, the = terminator at the end of the
viewstate is in the error message.

Any other ideas?

Velvet

bruce barker said:
[...]

I think I figured it out. I was thinking back to the last change I had made
to the pages and it was adding the Google Analytics js to the pages. I took
it off and all the pages started working perfectly. The only think I can
think of is that the google site cannot be accessed from our store locations
and so it was playing havoc with our view state.

I will have to do more testing... I have the google script on the page in a
User control and I show or hide various scripts depending on the server that
is executing the code so that I can tell which server was accessed. I'm
wondering if it is because it is in this control or if it is the google link
itself.

I'll report mroe when I have more.

Velvet