ViewState corrupted?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Velvet, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    My site is randomly firing off a "ExceptionHttpException : Unable to
    validate data. " error on some of its forms.
    -------
    HttpException : Unable to validate data.
    http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile .aspx (Referred
    by http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile .aspx)
    at System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(By te[] buf,
    Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength)
    at System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString)
    -----------
    I am also able to reproduce this error at one of our stores machines,
    meaning all of the computers at that location return this error for one
    particular application. The other application seem to randomly return this
    error. The site is not running on a web farm and I've tried the standard
    solutions of specifying a fixed machine validation/encryption key, and I've
    also tried disabling the view state mac entirely, but the problem persists.

    This application does not have any Server.Transfers in it, so I've ruled
    that one out. All post's are done within the same page and then upon
    success response.redirect is used to send the user to the next page.

    Does anyone have any ideas what setting might be triggering this? Could it
    be that my viewstate is corrupted for this application, and if so, how do I
    fix it?

    Thanks!
    Velvet

    Velvet, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Velvet

    bruce barker Guest

    check if the proxy server is truncating the viewstate. can happen if its
    over 2k.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 13, 2007

  3. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    This is not going through proxy and the view state is very small compared to
    other applications. Additionally, the = terminator at the end of the
    viewstate is in the error message.

    Any other ideas?

    Velvet

    Velvet, Sep 13, 2007
  4. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    I think I figured it out. I was thinking back to the last change I had made
    to the pages and it was adding the Google Analytics js to the pages. I took
    it off and all the pages started working perfectly. The only think I can
    think of is that the google site cannot be accessed from our store locations
    and so it was playing havoc with our view state.

    I will have to do more testing... I have the google script on the page in a
    User control and I show or hide various scripts depending on the server that
    is executing the code so that I can tell which server was accessed. I'm
    wondering if it is because it is in this control or if it is the google link
    itself.

    I'll report mroe when I have more.

    Velvet

    Velvet, Sep 14, 2007