viewstate - datagrid - intermittent error....help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by deevoy@gmail.com, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi-
    I'm developing a asp.net web application and everything has proven fine

    on the dev and acceptance environment.
    We've moved the code up to our windows server 2003 prod environment and

    get the following intermittent error when browsing the web page through

    a client browser (the action causing this is paging though a datagrid-
    although it randomly errors, rather than erroring all the time):
    ________________
    Invalid character in a Base-64 string
    at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s) at
    System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input) at
    System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
    ________________

    However if I run the application on the server itself I never get this
    intermittent error. Whilst it is a load balanced environment I've
    directed (within my host file) the browser to hit a specific server.
    Also for good measure I've set the following:
    enableViewStateMac="false"
    within the page in question.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this. The intermittent
    nature makes it all the more confusing.

    many thanks

    devo

    , Oct 29, 2005

    Just one more bit of info- I mentioned that this error didn't occur
    when running the browser on the server. I've just discovered that the
    error does not occur when running accessing through a browser from
    home. Hence the only time the error occurs is when I'm running the site
    through a browser at work.
    The web servers live in our DMZ and at work I access it behind the
    company firewall.
    Is this making any sense?

    One other thing the viewstate is rather large at 16kb.

    thanks
    devo

    , Oct 29, 2005