ViewState general question

Vlad

Hi all.

I use ViewState on most of my pages. Sometimes heavily.
Works great, I love it. But most of the asp.net sites I
visit seem to ignore it. They don't even include form tag
in html and use other ways to navigate/collect
information. Or use form and regular buttons withour
runat attribute to post info back to server. But they need
and they do save the state of their pages and page
elements. Is there any strong reason why they don't like
ViewState other than increased file size?

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]

Hi Vlad,

Saving state in a hidden form field is not new to ASP.NET. Its a technique
that has been in use since I can remember. Note that for sites not running
ASP.NET the hidden field won't necessarily be named "__VIEWSTATE".

If used with precaution there is nothing wrong in using viewstate. Moreover,
the next version of ASP.NET (Whidbey) has enhanced support for this.

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET