Viewstate Without Serialization

anandsoni

I have been working with a project where I need to deal with lot of
data. This data includes 10 thousands of records in the data grid.
There are thousand of users connected to the application, this causes
big performance problem with the application.

I learnt that it is Serializing/Deserializing causing the system to be
slow. Serializing is required because I am storing the ViewState to the
SessionState and SessionState is in StateServer.

Viewstate can be stored in the text file instead of Session, good, but
Serializing/Deserializng still causes problems with performance. Is
there any way we can avoid Serializing/Deserializing ViewState and
store it in Binary Format in a text file? Or may be convert the
VIEWState to some format that can be stored in text file without
Serializing?

Any help will be appreciated.

anandsoni

Paging/DataGrid is not what I am asking. What I am looking is "Is there
any way to store viewstate into a File (may be binary format) without
serialization".

Thx for reply but I do not have answer yet.

Jacob

Storing in binary form is a form of serialization I guess. If you are
up for some programming you could create your own state management and
bypass the serialization by sending the datatable/dataset directly to
session state. Then you would "only" have to deal with the problem of
boxing/unboxing.

Kevin Spencer

ViewState is state that is stored on the client side. Otherwise, you would
use some server-side caching mechanism. It represents the current state of
the page on the client side. Therefore, it must be readable on the client.
Putting it into a separate file on the client would certainly be possible,
but I don't see any point in doing so. It would have to be HTML or XML, and
would occupy the same amount of space, bandwidth, and upload/download time.
Due to its' "current state" nature, it must be refreshed with each PostBack.
I think you're looking at the wrong component here. Could you explain what
you are hoping to achieve with this?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

Where there's a Will, there's a William.