Vilnius/Post EuroPython PyPy Sprint 12-14th of July

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Hudson, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. The PyPy team is sprinting at EuroPython again and we invite
    you to participate in our 3 day long sprint at the conference hotel
    - Reval Hotel Lietuva.

    If you plan to attend the sprint we recommend you to listen to the PyPy
    technical talks (`EuroPython schedule`_) during the
    conference since it will give you a good overview of the status of development.

    On the morning of the first sprint day (12th) we will also have a
    tutorial session for those new to PyPy development. As 3 days is relatively
    short for a PyPy sprint we suggest to travel back home on the 15th if
    possible (but it is ok to attend less than 3 days too).

    ------------------------------
    Goals and topics of the sprint
    ------------------------------

    There are many possible and interesting sprint topics to work on - here
    we list some possible task areas:

    * completing the missing python 2.5 features and support
    * write or port more extension modules (e.g. zlib is missing)
    * identify slow areas of PyPy through benchmarking and work on improvements,
    possibly moving app-level parts of the Python interpreter to interp-level
    if useful.
    * there are some parts of PyPy in need of refactoring, we may spend some time
    on those, for example:

    - rctypes and the extension compiler need some rethinking
    - support for LLVM 2.0 for the llvm backend
    - ...

    * some JIT improvement work
    * port the stackless transform to ootypesystem
    * other interesting stuff that you would like to work on ...;-)

    and drop a note about your interests and post any questions. More
    organisational information will be sent to that list.

    Please register by adding yourself on the following list (via svn):

    http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/post-ep2007/people.txt

    or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

    ---------------------------------------
    Preparation (if you feel it is needed):
    ---------------------------------------

    * read the `getting-started`_ pages on http://codespeak.net/pypy

    * for inspiration, overview and technical status you are welcome to
    read `the technical reports available and other relevant documentation`_

    * please direct any technical and/or development oriented questions to
    pypy-dev at codespeak.net and any sprint organizing/logistical
    questions to pypy-sprint at codespeak.net

    * if you need information about the conference, potential hotels,
    directions etc we recommend to look at http://www.europython.org.

    We are looking forward to meet you at the Vilnius Post EuroPython
    PyPy sprint!

    The PyPy team

    ... See also ..

    ... _getting-started:
    http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/getting-started.html
    ... _`pypy-sprint mailing list`:
    ... _`the technical reports available and other relevant
    documentation`: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/index.html
    ... _`EuroPython schedule`: http://europython.org/timetable
    Michael Hudson, Jun 22, 2007