vim 6.2 + vim-ruby don't work

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Guoliang Cao, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Guoliang Cao

    Guoliang Cao Guest

    Hi,

    I just downloaded the latest vim 6.2 and vim-ruby snapshot 2003-10-12 and
    copied ftplugin, indent, syntax to directory of vim executable. I then use
    vim to open a ruby file and see syntax highlight working. Then I use "gq=g"
    to format the whole file. It scrolls to the end of the file but nothing is
    indented. Please let me know what I did wrong.

    My .vimrc :

    set autoindent number ruler tabstop=2
    set nocompatible " We're running Vim, not Vi!
    syntax on " Enable syntax highlighting
    filetype on " Enable fieltype detection
    filetype indent on " Enable filetype-specific indenting
    filetype plugin on " Enable filetype-specific plugins

    Thanks,
    Cao

    Guoliang Cao, Oct 16, 2003

  2. On Oct 17, Guoliang Cao wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just downloaded the latest vim 6.2 and vim-ruby snapshot 2003-10-12 and
    > copied ftplugin, indent, syntax to directory of vim executable. I then use
    > vim to open a ruby file and see syntax highlight working. Then I use "gq=g"
    > to format the whole file. It scrolls to the end of the file but nothing is
    > indented. Please let me know what I did wrong.

    Are you using Windows? On *nix you don't put the ftplugin etc. directories
    in the same directory as the vim executable... they are put somewhere like:

    /usr/share/vim/vim62/compiler/ruby.vim
    /usr/share/vim/vim62/ftplugin/ruby.vim
    /usr/share/vim/vim62/indent/ruby.vim
    /usr/share/vim/vim62/syntax/ruby.vim

    whereas the vim executable is in:

    /usr/bin/vim

    just as an example. I don't know how vim is set up on Windows.

    But anyway, I don't see any change with gq=g either... gq I always thought
    was for formatting wrapped text. I use gg=G to indent a source file...

    --
    Brett Williams | (970) 288-0475

    Brett H. Williams, Oct 16, 2003