Vim breaks after Python upgrade

NickC

Perhaps OT, but I figure here is where people have seen this commonly.

I upgraded Python from my distro's default of 2.5.2 to 2.6.2. Vim is now
complaining every startup about missing <exec> libraries, presumably as
some plugins run some python code on initialisation. I'm guessing vim is
complaining as it was compiled with python support, and that was 2.5.2,
and the compiled-in python library locations no longer exist.

I compiled a new vim, so things are ok-ish, but now my system is even
further away from standard distro. I'm also a little surprised vim is so
clunky as to use hard-coded locations. Do I really have to compile a new
vim every python upgrade?

'strings vim' shows some ascii that could be the python library
locations. Being quite ignorant of how the linux loader works, could I in
future use sed on the vim binary to change every string of "2.5.2" to
"2.6.2", or are the library locations used by the loader coded in binary
rather than ascii (and so, harder to find)?

Thanks,

Nick Stinemates

At least with Gentoo, there's a command to recompile all of the plugins
you have installed when upgrading python versions.

Your issue is probably related to that. I don't think VIM uses hardcoded
locations for scripts at the core.

If you have any specific questions about the errors you're receiving,
feel free to submit to the VIM mailing list or stop by the IRC channel:
#vim on irc.freenode.org

Terry Reedy

NickC said:
Perhaps OT, but I figure here is where people have seen this commonly.

I upgraded Python from my distro's default of 2.5.2 to 2.6.2. Vim is now
complaining every startup about missing <exec> libraries, presumably as
some plugins run some python code on initialisation. I'm guessing vim is
complaining as it was compiled with python support, and that was 2.5.2,
and the compiled-in python library locations no longer exist.

I believe you should have added 2.6.2 as an alternate installation and
left 2.5.x alone. There have been several threads discussing this.
I compiled a new vim, so things are ok-ish, but now my system is even
further away from standard distro. I'm also a little surprised vim is so
clunky as to use hard-coded locations. Do I really have to compile a new
vim every python upgrade?

Not if you add rather than substitute.

TerryP

In my experience (FreeBSD), compiling vim with Python, Perl, or Ruby
support (etc), generally requires recompiling vim after upgrading the
corresponding language.

Note also that (if like me) you manage vim installations `by hand` on
all systems, rather then use the systems package management system,
upgrade tools can not magically do it.

NickC

At least with Gentoo, there's a command to recompile all of the plugins
you have installed when upgrading python versions.

Your issue is probably related to that. I don't think VIM uses hardcoded
locations for scripts at the core.

If you have any specific questions about the errors you're receiving,
feel free to submit to the VIM mailing list or stop by the IRC channel:
#vim on irc.freenode.org

Ok, thanks. I'm sorry for calling vim clunky; the choice of words
probably reflected my disbelief at the time.

FWIW, sed'ing 's:2\.5:2\.6:g' doesn't work. It does change some strings,
but not (apparently) the numbers that matter.