Vim breaks after Python upgrade

Discussion in 'Python' started by NickC, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. NickC

    NickC Guest

    Perhaps OT, but I figure here is where people have seen this commonly.

    I upgraded Python from my distro's default of 2.5.2 to 2.6.2. Vim is now
    complaining every startup about missing <exec> libraries, presumably as
    some plugins run some python code on initialisation. I'm guessing vim is
    complaining as it was compiled with python support, and that was 2.5.2,
    and the compiled-in python library locations no longer exist.

    I compiled a new vim, so things are ok-ish, but now my system is even
    further away from standard distro. I'm also a little surprised vim is so
    clunky as to use hard-coded locations. Do I really have to compile a new
    vim every python upgrade?

    'strings vim' shows some ascii that could be the python library
    locations. Being quite ignorant of how the linux loader works, could I in
    future use sed on the vim binary to change every string of "2.5.2" to
    "2.6.2", or are the library locations used by the loader coded in binary
    rather than ascii (and so, harder to find)?

    Thanks,

    --
    NickC
    NickC, Nov 17, 2009

  2. At least with Gentoo, there's a command to recompile all of the plugins
    you have installed when upgrading python versions.

    Your issue is probably related to that. I don't think VIM uses hardcoded
    locations for scripts at the core.

    If you have any specific questions about the errors you're receiving,
    feel free to submit to the VIM mailing list or stop by the IRC channel:
    #vim on irc.freenode.org

    Nick Stinemates, Nov 17, 2009

  3. NickC

    Terry Reedy Guest

    NickC wrote:
    > Perhaps OT, but I figure here is where people have seen this commonly.
    >
    > I upgraded Python from my distro's default of 2.5.2 to 2.6.2. Vim is now
    > complaining every startup about missing <exec> libraries, presumably as
    > some plugins run some python code on initialisation. I'm guessing vim is
    > complaining as it was compiled with python support, and that was 2.5.2,
    > and the compiled-in python library locations no longer exist.

    I believe you should have added 2.6.2 as an alternate installation and
    left 2.5.x alone. There have been several threads discussing this.

    > I compiled a new vim, so things are ok-ish, but now my system is even
    > further away from standard distro. I'm also a little surprised vim is so
    > clunky as to use hard-coded locations. Do I really have to compile a new
    > vim every python upgrade?

    Not if you add rather than substitute.

    Terry Reedy, Nov 17, 2009
  4. NickC

    TerryP Guest

    In my experience (FreeBSD), compiling vim with Python, Perl, or Ruby
    support (etc), generally requires recompiling vim after upgrading the
    corresponding language.

    Note also that (if like me) you manage vim installations `by hand` on
    all systems, rather then use the systems package management system,
    upgrade tools can not magically do it.
    TerryP, Nov 18, 2009
  5. NickC

    NickC Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:46:25 -0500, Nick Stinemates wrote:

    > At least with Gentoo, there's a command to recompile all of the plugins
    > you have installed when upgrading python versions.
    >
    > Your issue is probably related to that. I don't think VIM uses hardcoded
    > locations for scripts at the core.
    >
    > If you have any specific questions about the errors you're receiving,
    > feel free to submit to the VIM mailing list or stop by the IRC channel:
    > #vim on irc.freenode.org

    Ok, thanks. I'm sorry for calling vim clunky; the choice of words
    probably reflected my disbelief at the time.

    FWIW, sed'ing 's:2\.5:2\.6:g' doesn't work. It does change some strings,
    but not (apparently) the numbers that matter.

    --
    NickC
    NickC, Nov 19, 2009