Virtual Directories can't see bin/ in root

Michelle

I have a website with 6 virtual directories under it who dont "see" the bin/
directory in the root.
If I create a /bin directory in each virtual directory and then copy my
dll's in there, it works.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or any other way to reference a dll?

I know a solution is to copy the dll's into the GAC, but this server has
many other websites running on it, so I don't want the dll's there and
available to any other websites.

Ideally my dlls would go into a single directory so that the root and all of
the virtual directories could use it, but no other websites could.

Thanks,

Michelle

Guest

you can create a web service that reference this dll, acting as a shell to your functions, then all your other code would be calling this web service instead

Todd Acheson

If I'm not mistaken, the default behavior for a web page is to look in it's
own directory's \bin directory for code referenced in the "Inherits" @Page
directive (or "Src").
If you don't put the code/DLL there, it won't know where to find it.

Are you using Visual Studio.NET to create this app? If so, just right-click
on each project's references and add a reference to the DLL's in question.

HTH

-Todd

Mark Fitzpatrick

One of the things to remember is that virtual directories are essentially
different. usually a virtual directory is itself marked as an app because
the nature of a virtual directory is that the physical directory can be used
as a virtual any number of times. Because of this, how does the virtual
really know where the parent is and should it?

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Michelle

That explains why it doesn't work. But how, besides the gac, do I get the
root app and all the virtual directories to reference the same dll? :)