Virtual Directory configuration with mixed .Net framework versions

Patrick Teas

Hello.

I have a default web site running in a separate application pool with
ASP.Net 2.0 active.
Under this default web site, I have a virtual directory running in a
separate application pool with ASP.Net 1.1 active.
When I access any page in the virtual directory I get an error:
Unrecognized configuration section 'xhtmlConformance'
This xhtmlConformance tag is in up in the default web site's web.config,
not in the virtual directory's web.config.
The ASP.Net 1.1 engine does not know what teh xhtmlConformance tag is, but
why is it even reading the config file from the parent web site? Is there a
way I can make the virtual directory run more independently from the parent
site, yet still maintain it's url acess below the parent site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Teas