Virtual Directory not created during installation of ASP .NET 2.0 website

CodeMonkey

Hi all
I created a web site project using Visual Studio 2005 and then created
the Deployment Project to deploy it. I set the virtual directory
property on the web application folder to "testsite". However when
installing I get the following error:

The Specified path '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/testsite' is unavailable. The
internet information server might not be running or the path exists
and is redirected to another machine. Please check the status of this
virtual directory in the internet services manager.

Now If I create this virtual directory first, manually, then run the
install, it works fine. Why is the installer not creating it for me?

Any help appreciated,
Andrew

Thomas Hansen

Hi all
I created a web site project using Visual Studio 2005 and then created
the Deployment Project to deploy it. I set the virtual directory
property on the web application folder to "testsite". However when
installing I get the following error:

In general terms you would rather want to use the "Deploy Website"
feature of VS2005 than the Deployment Project...
Right click your website and choose "Deploy Website..."

This would require some manual after work, but I still haven't seen
ONE valid reason to use an "Install WebSite" project...!!

..t

CodeMonkey

In general terms you would rather want to use the "Deploy Website"
feature of VS2005 than the Deployment Project...
Right click your website and choose "Deploy Website..."

This would require some manual after work, but I still haven't seen
ONE valid reason to use an "Install WebSite" project...!!

.t

--http://ajaxwidgets.com
Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!

Hi Thomas
thanks for the response. Right clicking my website, I *cannot* see the
"Deploy Website" option! I only see the following:

Build
Rebuild
Clean
Publish