Virtual filesystem in python ( Fuse or WebDav ? )

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas W, Oct 9, 2007.

  1. Thomas W

    Thomas W Guest

    I want to create a virtual filesystem based on a relational database.
    It might run as a server on a different machine, but it has to be
    available like a normal filesystem, either shared using SAMBA or
    windows filesharing or thru something else like WebDav.

    The idea is that I scan a local filesystem and then create relations
    between those files stored in a relational database, eg. a create a
    group called family, add a bunch of files related to my family in that
    virtual group/folder. When the user accesses the virtual filesystem
    and types ls or dir the result is a list of groups, in my case ., ..
    and family. The user types "cd family" and dir/ls in that virtual
    folder will show all files in that group. How can this be done? I've
    looked at dav, especially mod_dav and fuse. I want to be able to
    access the files ( and even add files, like if I copy a file into the
    family-folder, a relation in the relational database will be created,
    but the newly added file itself might be stored some other place on
    the filesystem, based on extension or perhaps EXIF-info if it's an
    image being added ) using standard filesystem tools, like explorer on
    win32 or the shell on linux.

    I don't think I can use WebDav directly, because I want to control
    what happens if somebody copies a file into a virtual folder, but I
    don't know much about webdav so I might be wrong.

    Any hint or clue would be appreciated.

    Thomas W, Oct 9, 2007

  2. Grant Edwards, Oct 9, 2007