virtual key codes?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Pavel Pvl, Dec 24, 2007.

  1. Pavel Pvl

    Pavel Pvl Guest

    Pavel Pvl, Dec 24, 2007

  2. Pavel Pvl

    Pavel Pvl Guest

    well i guess no one knew, or what not. but in this case, is there a
    library that can do this?

    Pavel Pvl, Dec 29, 2007

  3. On Sat, Dec 29, 2007, Pavel Pvl wrote:
    > well i guess no one knew, or what not. but in this case, is there a
    > library that can do this?

    You didn't give much information. What's a virtual key code? What
    operating system are you on? What are you trying to do? All that
    information is necessary to help.

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Dec 29, 2007
  4. Pavel Pvl

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > All that information is necessary to help.

    I dont think all that information is necessary to help.
    But I agree completely on one point - WHAT is a virtual key?

    Is that a key used in an online game? Or one you would like to have on
    your keyboard, but don't have? :)

    Marc Heiler, Dec 29, 2007
  5. On Sun, Dec 30, 2007, Marc Heiler wrote:
    > > All that information is necessary to help.

    > I dont think all that information is necessary to help.

    Sure it is.

    > But I agree completely on one point - WHAT is a virtual key?
    >
    > Is that a key used in an online game? Or one you would like to have on
    > your keyboard, but don't have? :)

    Assuming either one is what he was asking, there's no way to give an
    answer without knowing what platform you're trying to do it on.

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Dec 29, 2007
  6. Pavel Pvl

    Pavel Pvl Guest

    Ben Bleything wrote:
    > On Sun, Dec 30, 2007, Marc Heiler wrote:
    >> > All that information is necessary to help.

    >> I dont think all that information is necessary to help.

    > Sure it is.
    >
    >> But I agree completely on one point - WHAT is a virtual key?
    >>
    >> Is that a key used in an online game? Or one you would like to have on
    >> your keyboard, but don't have? :)

    > Assuming either one is what he was asking, there's no way to give an
    > answer without knowing what platform you're trying to do it on.
    >
    > Ben

    sorry!
    my internet went out, and didn't really notice because I haven't been
    home. so I'm doing this off of my phone.

    now first off, ill at least consider myself a newbie here, but:

    when I was still toying with programming on XP, I remember VB or c++
    using virtual key codes.

    from my understanding, it's their system of quickly identifying and
    sending key strokes. virtual there just saying whether the keys actually
    exsist or not.

    whell I need this towards a windows version of my app (linux ver ready)
    of course unless theres a better way:

    I need to tell XP to raise the volume as a system command, and possible
    maybe even get the current volume.

    -after long research previous, the closest thing I found was sndvol132
    or something, which only loads the vol config gui. (i do have access to
    XP)

    well thanks in advance, and if u wanna check out my app, the link should
    be:

    http://www.sourceforge.net/rJDC

    kind of a fun app.

    again thanks! and happy new year

    Pavel Pvl, Dec 30, 2007
  7. On Sun, Dec 30, 2007, Pavel Pvl wrote:
    > sorry!
    > my internet went out, and didn't really notice because I haven't been
    > home. so I'm doing this off of my phone.

    No problem :)

    > now first off, ill at least consider myself a newbie here, but:
    >
    > when I was still toying with programming on XP, I remember VB or c++
    > using virtual key codes.
    >
    > from my understanding, it's their system of quickly identifying and
    > sending key strokes. virtual there just saying whether the keys actually
    > exsist or not.

    Sure, that makes sense.

    > whell I need this towards a windows version of my app (linux ver ready)
    > of course unless theres a better way:
    >
    > I need to tell XP to raise the volume as a system command, and possible
    > maybe even get the current volume.

    I think there's probably a more direct route to raising the system
    volume than sending a key stroke... particularly since somewhere that
    key stroke would have to have been registered as a volume up command.
    Though I suppose some keyboards come out-of-the-box with that
    functionality...

    > -after long research previous, the closest thing I found was sndvol132
    > or something, which only loads the vol config gui. (i do have access to
    > XP)

    You might look at the win32utils project on Rubyforge:
    http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/

    It contains a library called win32-sound, which appears to be able to
    set the wave output volume. It's not the master volume, but it might
    help! Or you might be able to read the code and adapt it to your needs.

    Cheers!
    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Dec 30, 2007
  8. Pavel Pvl

    Pavel Pvl Guest

    > You might look at the win32utils project on Rubyforge:
    > http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/
    >
    > It contains a library called win32-sound, which appears to be able to
    > set the wave output volume. It's not the master volume, but it might
    > help! Or you might be able to read the code and adapt it to your needs.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Ben

    i think thisll do!
    thnx!