Virtual Path and physical root

Guest

Is it possible to include my remote web server path eg: m:/html/root/site1
| m:/html/root/site2 etc

....in virtual includes....

Thus eliminating the need to create duplicate INC files in each sub-domain
on my remote web server host domain IP. eg: http://72.3.5.6.0
(www.site1.com; www.site2.com)

I would like to be able to use a UNIVERSAL INC file in the root of my web IP
for the benefit of all my sub domains...

Appreciate guidance!

- Jason

Guest

I tried it locally eg ="c\inetpub..." but got "page not found"......I am
just trying to confirm whether one can actually use a phycial path in a
virtual include..

- Jason

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I've never used a local file path in a virtual include call. An #include
file is usually local, an #include virtual usually means relative (e.g. to
the root), which kind of precludes sticking a drive letter in front of it.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Guest

Right.

Aaron, could you offer advice on a login system that is a pinch point for
all my sub-domains on a remote IP (remote web host:)

IP: HTTP://69.9.3

Sub-domain 1: www.site1.com
Sub-domain 2: www.site2.com

I wish to create a login system that sits in the root of the IP and enables
all my sub-webs to feed off it and its underlying database:

Logon: IP: HTTP://69.9.3/Logon.asp
Register: HTTP://69.9.3/Register.asp

My confusion is related in how to 'share' the common elements:

1. Database path:
2. Common inlcudes
3. Capture User Page selections:

a. TargetURL
B.FromURL

....when he logs onto the secure page.

I could use IP, but Curt has pointed out that providers like AOL use dynamic
DHCL which means all their users have the same address.

I could use session variables but then I only get his User Page Requestes
for the first secure page he logs onto

Do you have any advice on a logon system that allows me to secure basic .ASP
pages and capture their Target and From Urls?

Much appreciated
Jason