virtual PC/Server 2003 hosting glitches...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Hi folks,
    I'll try and keep this as short as I can and have it still make sense.

    I'm working on a corporate locked down copy of XP, I'm not allowed to have
    IIS on this machine. this makes it somewhat hard to write ASP.net applications
    our IT dept came up with a workaround acceptable to their security standards
    We'd put Virtual PC 2004 on our machines, install windows Server 2003 (web
    edition) on it and then Visual studio on our XP machines and when we come to
    create a new web project we hook into the virtual server's IIS and virtual
    directories etc.

    I've made sure that ASP.net is enabled (i.e allowed) on the Server 2003 IIS

    when I go to create a new project for ASP.net from my containing XP OS and
    point it to the 'contained' IIS server at my pre-made Virtual directory I get
    the following error:

    cannot acess 'cannot access \\YOURERVER\wwwroot$\yourVirtualDir\App1' eiher
    it doesn't exist or you do not have access...

    how could an error message not disambiguate between me
    a) not having access
    vs
    b) the path not being valid

    that is just so unhelpful...

    anyway, I seem wholly unable to create web projects/solutions on my virtual
    server any ideas

    many thanks in advance for any help

    Regards
    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Charles,

    This is a whole different way to go, but I wanted to make certain that
    you've considered it: are you using Visual Studio 2003 or 2005? If you are
    using 2005 or can upgrade to 2005 then it comes with a built in webserver
    application that fires up only when you are using it. It uses what is now
    being called a "file system" web project and the server is only available on
    the local machine. That scenario may be acceptable to your security staff
    because IIS is not necessary.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo [MCP], Jan 17, 2006

  3. Thanks for your post Justin, however we don't have VS 2005 and nor will we
    have it for a while, so we have to use VS 2003
    thanks for the answer anyway
    Regards
    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Jan 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

    Bruce Barker Guest

    for security reasons, not having access to a resouce returns the same error
    as the resource not existing.

    vs2003, is calling the iis server and asking for the path for the given
    virtual dir, the iis server is returning not found, but vs doen't know if
    this is because its really not there, or it just doesn't have access.

    most likely you did not create the vir in iis first before opening the
    porject.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Jan 17, 2006