virtual PC/Server 2003 hosting glitches...

Guest

Hi folks,
I'll try and keep this as short as I can and have it still make sense.

I'm working on a corporate locked down copy of XP, I'm not allowed to have
IIS on this machine. this makes it somewhat hard to write ASP.net applications
our IT dept came up with a workaround acceptable to their security standards
We'd put Virtual PC 2004 on our machines, install windows Server 2003 (web
edition) on it and then Visual studio on our XP machines and when we come to
create a new web project we hook into the virtual server's IIS and virtual
directories etc.

I've made sure that ASP.net is enabled (i.e allowed) on the Server 2003 IIS

when I go to create a new project for ASP.net from my containing XP OS and
point it to the 'contained' IIS server at my pre-made Virtual directory I get
the following error:

cannot acess 'cannot access \\YOURERVER\wwwroot$\yourVirtualDir\App1' eiher
it doesn't exist or you do not have access...

how could an error message not disambiguate between me
a) not having access
vs
b) the path not being valid

that is just so unhelpful...

anyway, I seem wholly unable to create web projects/solutions on my virtual
server any ideas

many thanks in advance for any help

Regards
CharlesA

S. Justin Gengo [MCP]

Charles,

This is a whole different way to go, but I wanted to make certain that
you've considered it: are you using Visual Studio 2003 or 2005? If you are
using 2005 or can upgrade to 2005 then it comes with a built in webserver
application that fires up only when you are using it. It uses what is now
being called a "file system" web project and the server is only available on
the local machine. That scenario may be acceptable to your security staff
because IIS is not necessary.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Guest

Thanks for your post Justin, however we don't have VS 2005 and nor will we
have it for a while, so we have to use VS 2003
thanks for the answer anyway
Regards
CharlesA

Bruce Barker

for security reasons, not having access to a resouce returns the same error
as the resource not existing.

vs2003, is calling the iis server and asking for the path for the given
virtual dir, the iis server is returning not found, but vs doen't know if
this is because its really not there, or it just doesn't have access.

most likely you did not create the vir in iis first before opening the
porject.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)