Virus Scan causing .Net Web App Restarts

Guest

We have been using the Microsoft Configuration Application Block (version
before EntLib) and have found that there appears to be a collision with a
weekly virus scan running on our web servers. The MCAB appears to lose it's
cached copy of the "sections" defined in the web app's web.config and then
when it tries to read them again, it failed with a "section not found"
exception. As soon as the virus scan completes, everything goes back to
normal.

Regardless, we have found this article
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];820746) referring
to the virus scan forces the app domain to restart. We confirmed that we
were seeing app restarts and waiting for the .Net 1.1 SP1 update to fix the
problem; however, it didn't appear to fix the app restart problem and we
continue to see MCAB failures (we believe it is related).

The article above makes a reference stating that Symantec may have separate
fix for the app restart problem, but their web site makes no reference to any
fix besides the MS FIX arcticle.

Does anyone know how to stop the virus scan from causing these unnecessary
app restarts post .Net FW 1.1 SP1?

Thanks.

Guest

I do not know a surefire solution to the problem, but having the virus scan
avoid web folders that do not allow uploads would likely circumvent the
issue. I would also aim for avoiding a scan of the actual IIS files. Most
Enterprise level scanners will have some form of method of setting scan
exceptions.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!

Guest

Yes, this looks like it helps avoids the app restarts; however, the FIX
article refers to it as a known issue and that there is some fix for it.
We'd like to have that fix for this problem rather than have to configure our
virus scan engine to skip over certain folders (web folders and some FW
folders).

Thanks,
Jeremy