Vista & Visual Studio

Guest

Does anyone know which edition of Vista you have to buy if you use Visual
Studio and probably will upgrade to Visual Studio 2008? Is the Ultimate
edition necessary, or will the home or business edition work just fine?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Any edition will work, but I would recommend at least Home Premium, as it
has IIS. The Home Basic is pretty much neutered.

Overall, I would not install until Visual Studio 2008, as getting 2005 to
work on Vista is a pain.

Scott Roberts

I've not had any problems with VS2005 on Vista Home Premium - so long as you
"Run as Administrator".

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Primarily the perm settings with IIS. Even after everything is set up with
the IIS 6 manager, there are still some bits that cause me a heartache.
Nothing intense, but just not worth it for me right now.

As VS 2008 is coming out later this month, I am going to wait to wade in
those waters again.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The set up is a large part of the pain. And, there are occasionally quirks
with IIS. Not a big deal, but VS 2008 is just around the corner.

As for Vista, this machine will likely never have Vista. It maxes at 2 GB
and has a 5400 RPM drive, both which slow things down quite a bit. I may
venture if 2008 runs much cleaner on Vista than 2005 did.

Ian Semmel

I use Business and it works just fine. I avoid 'Home' editions as they
are really just about the same with a lot of features nobbled so you
can't get to them. It's a bit like buying a car with the bonnet (hood in
US?) welded shut so you can't open it to get at the motor.
Does anyone know which edition of Vista you have to buy if you use
Visual
Studio and probably will upgrade to Visual Studio 2008? Is the
Ultimate
edition necessary, or will the home or business edition work just
fine?

Mark Rae [MVP]

I've not had any problems with VS2005 on Vista Home Premium - so long as
you "Run as Administrator".

Indeed - am running it on 64-bit Vista Business and, after installing the
update patch in February, have never had a single issue with it...

keithrull

Indeed - am running it on 64-bit Vista Business and, after installing the
update patch in February, have never had a single issue with it...

I'm using VS 2005 on a Vista Ultimate and it works like a charm.

Guest

Thanks everyone for their replies. I had similar issues with an hp laptop
that it never did work right with Visual Studio 2005, it continued to be
buggy. I wonder if that may have been similar to Cowboy's issues.