    Does anyone know which edition of Vista you have to buy if you use Visual
    Studio and probably will upgrade to Visual Studio 2008? Is the Ultimate
    edition necessary, or will the home or business edition work just fine?
    Guest, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Any edition will work, but I would recommend at least Home Premium, as it
    has IIS. The Home Basic is pretty much neutered.

    Overall, I would not install until Visual Studio 2008, as getting 2005 to
    work on Vista is a pain.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 15, 2007

  3. "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Overall, I would not install until Visual Studio 2008, as getting 2005 to
    > work on Vista is a pain.

    Is it? How so...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 15, 2007
  4. I've not had any problems with VS2005 on Vista Home Premium - so long as you
    "Run as Administrator".

    message news:...
    Scott Roberts, Nov 15, 2007
  5. Primarily the perm settings with IIS. Even after everything is set up with
    the IIS 6 manager, there are still some bits that cause me a heartache.
    Nothing intense, but just not worth it for me right now.

    As VS 2008 is coming out later this month, I am going to wait to wade in
    those waters again.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 15, 2007
  6. The set up is a large part of the pain. And, there are occasionally quirks
    with IIS. Not a big deal, but VS 2008 is just around the corner.

    As for Vista, this machine will likely never have Vista. It maxes at 2 GB
    and has a 5400 RPM drive, both which slow things down quite a bit. I may
    venture if 2008 runs much cleaner on Vista than 2005 did.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 15, 2007

    Ian Semmel Guest

    I use Business and it works just fine. I avoid 'Home' editions as they
    are really just about the same with a lot of features nobbled so you
    can't get to them. It's a bit like buying a car with the bonnet (hood in
    US?) welded shut so you can't open it to get at the motor.

    Ian Semmel, Nov 15, 2007
  8. "Scott Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > I've not had any problems with VS2005 on Vista Home Premium - so long as
    > you "Run as Administrator".

    Indeed - am running it on 64-bit Vista Business and, after installing the
    update patch in February, have never had a single issue with it...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 15, 2007

    keithrull Guest

    On Nov 15, 11:50 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > "Scott Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > > I've not had any problems with VS2005 on Vista Home Premium - so long as
    > > you "Run as Administrator".

    > Indeed - am running it on 64-bit Vista Business and, after installing the
    > update patch in February, have never had a single issue with it...
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

    I'm using VS 2005 on a Vista Ultimate and it works like a charm.

    --
    Keith Rull
    http://www.keithrull.com
    keithrull, Nov 15, 2007

    Guest Guest

    Thanks everyone for their replies. I had similar issues with an hp laptop
    that it never did work right with Visual Studio 2005, it continued to be
    buggy. I wonder if that may have been similar to Cowboy's issues.

    Guest, Nov 17, 2007