Visual Basic is Dead!

Lloyd Sheen

mayayana said:
That's a good one. A person wants to know
whether they should continue investing time
in VB.Net, and the two "most dependable"
answers are a Microsoft marketing video and
a signup-required Facebook chat. :)
Since you think that way , I guess you have no reason to troll here.

LS

mayayana

That's a good one. A person wants to know
Since you think that way , I guess you have no reason to troll here.

Actually I think it's an interesting issue
that's clearly of interest to a lot of people.
I'm interested in what the old hands here
have to say. And I'd be interested in opinions
from Joel Spolsy or similar people. But what
people don't need is more Microsoft marketing
gibberish. Would you go to Ford to find out
whether Ford is the best car to buy?

And as for Facebook... I don't consider it
a valid link if I have to sign up to become
a member in a spyware teen chat site in order
to read what you're linking.

As far as I can tell your top link is actually
the same link that Patrice posted (a 143 MB
video download of MS marketing) except that
it's routed through Facebook. Why would you
"Facebook" the link?! Your second link returns
"Bad Request" when the Facebook prepend is
removed.

Lloyd Sheen

mayayana said:
Actually I think it's an interesting issue
that's clearly of interest to a lot of people.
I'm interested in what the old hands here
have to say. And I'd be interested in opinions
from Joel Spolsy or similar people. But what
people don't need is more Microsoft marketing
gibberish. Would you go to Ford to find out
whether Ford is the best car to buy?

And as for Facebook... I don't consider it
a valid link if I have to sign up to become
a member in a spyware teen chat site in order
to read what you're linking.

As far as I can tell your top link is actually
the same link that Patrice posted (a 143 MB
video download of MS marketing) except that
it's routed through Facebook. Why would you
"Facebook" the link?! Your second link returns
"Bad Request" when the Facebook prepend is
removed.

If you read the title of this long long posting, it is Visual Basic is dead.
I would think that a rational person would ask those in charge before
rambling on. I'm not saying it is good , bad or other, just that instead of
rumors I thought some truth might help this thread. I guess you don't but
that is your prerogative.

How you seem to view most things from your post would indicate that you
don't really care what others think so I will leave this alone.

LS

Mike

Lloyd said:
If you read the title of this long long posting, it is Visual Basic is
dead. I would think that a rational person would ask those in charge
before rambling on. I'm not saying it is good , bad or other, just that
instead of rumors I thought some truth might help this thread. I guess
you don't but that is your prerogative.

How you seem to view most things from your post would indicate that you
don't really care what others think so I will leave this alone.

LS

As most people know, this is an long time sensitive issue for VB
people including those that use mix languages. Regardless if this
was a sneaky spam ploy or the OP had an interest in VB future and
intentionally used a subject topic that maximizes input, is the really
besides the point, but to show how deep the subject really is across
many disciplines of people.

Practically speaking, MS will never abandon "VB" in whatever mutations
it comes. Would it be in positions where it might be a step or two
behind C# development? Well, there is some indication from MS that C#
seems to be getting first dibs. The question will then be, how fall
will VB.NET fall behind?

My opinion is how far can you really take a VB.NET and blend it with
so many C++/C# dialect that it loses a value of being "easy" to use,
which whether we want to hear it or not, VB/VB.NET is a more simpler
language to use, even for the best C++/C# people out there. So
VB/VB.NET will always continue to have an marketing position as a
'entry point' or "easy to program" RAD environment that doesn't
required highly trained C/C++ people.

Mike Williams

If you read the title of this long long posting, it is Visual
Basic is dead. I would think that a rational person would
ask those in charge before rambling on.

Are you really suggesting that the best person to ask about the longevity of
a product is the person who wants to sell it to you? Sheesh!

Mike

Mike Williams

Well if I have to choose between a 2 year old
article that predict something that didn't happened
and the available material . . . then yes.

That was not the question I asked you. Will you please answer the question I
asked. For ease of reference, here it is again:
Are you really suggesting that the best person to ask
about the longevity of a product is the person who
wants to sell it to you?

Mike

vanderghast

Yes, assuming this person is likely aware that you will ***continue*** to
buy, from him/her, in two years, that person is unlikely to boldly lie to
you. Eh, by the way, is making money a sin?

Sure, sure, there are sales person having no kind of remorse to lie to you,
that does not mean any sales person is.

If not possibly the best kind of person, who would it be? a religious
extremist? and why?

And before you resort to an "independant analyst", let me ask you, what that
analyst is really trying to sell you?, what his/here real goal? Are you LESS
on the defensive when you listen to that analyst than when you listen to a
salesman? if so, you are more vulnerable toward a sales person presenting
himself as an analyst.

So, yes. Else, who, and why's that?

Vanderghast, Access MVP

Mike Williams

Yes, assuming this person is likely aware that you will
***continue*** to buy, from him/her, in two years,
that person is unlikely to boldly lie to you.

You're such a pussy.

Mike

vanderghast

"That was not the question I asked you. Will you please answer the question
asked. For ease of reference, here it is again:"

If not, who would, and why?

Vanderghast, Access MVP

mayayana

And before you resort to an "independant analyst", let me ask
you, what that
analyst is really trying to sell you?

Independent analysts are often nothing more
than shills. All sorts of official experts have
"done studies". A famous one was done by a
company that came out of nowhere, called Asset
Metrix. They flooded the online media with a
"study" when Win98 was being "end-of-lifed".
Their study found that Win98 was less safe
than WinXP. Why? Because it was going off
support.:) Asset Metrix was in the business of
helping companies update to XP. Their study was
sheer nonsense. But the online tech. media were
only too happy to trumpet it for a headline, so
that anyone who didn't actually download the PDF
and read it was likely to assume that Asset Metrix
was a "going concern" and that their statement
was true, backed by coherent research.
Asset Metrix was later bought by Microsoft.
(I wonder why?)

You don't have to go to so-called analysts.
You could listen to people who use the product,
who also use other products, and who have a
future interest. You can ask people who know
more than you do. (Isn't that what newsgroups
are for, after all?)
So, yes. Else, who, and why's that?

Hopefully you don't have an order in for a new
Pontiac. Then again: "Eh, by the way, is making
money a sin?" :)

vanderghast

I answered your question with a Yes.

If you can only accept one answer to your question, that is not a question.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

Mike Williams

I answered your question with a Yes.

Well actually it was a qualified "Yes", but you now appear to have
unqualified it I will assume an unqualified "Yes" as your answer. Just to
recap, here is my question and your answer again:

My question: Are you really suggesting that the best
person to ask about the longevity of a product is
the person who wants to sell it to you?

Your answer: Yes.

You really are a little pussy, aren't you. A salesman's wet dream . . .

.. . . Oh, I've just realised, you are a Micro$oft MVP. That explains it all.
Your answers to questions relating to Micro$oft and its products are almost
certainly heavily biased in Micro$oft's favour and hence highly unreliable.
Mustn't bite the hand that feeds you, eh :)

Mike

vanderghast

My answer to your question was: Yes, if that someone would likely to still
be in business in two years and would need decent credibility to make deal
with you.

The statement has no need to be a Microsoft case to hold, it holds for any
business. No need to be a MVP to understand it.

In fact, you did not attack the argument, but you decided to attack (if we
can qualify your objections as an attack) the one who brougth the argument.
Unfortunately for you, my argument does not require to have faith in my
word, or on my reputation, since it only realy on every day experience of
EVERYONE reading these lines.

Since you seems to insist, tell me, how is it so hard, for you, to have the
upper hand over a 'pussy' ?

Vanderghast, Access MVP

The day before the battle of Issus:
Darius: Return back home, I don't fight with children.
Alexender the Great: Tomorrow, if you win, your prestige won't be much
greater thant oday, you would only have defeated a child. But if you lose,
the world would consider that you worth less than a child.

Mike Williams

My answer to your question was: Yes, if that someone
would likely to still be in business in two years and would
need decent credibility to make deal with you.

I don't agree with you. In fact the last person I would listen to regarding
the quality or suitability or longevity of a product would be a
representative of the company that manufactured it or is trying to sell it
to me. If for example I was thinking about buying a specific model of motor
car I would listen to the views of /independent/ people who had driven and
or tested it and who had personally compared it to other models they had
driven or tested. I would correctly assume that the manufacturer of that
particular model of car, or one of his representatives or salesmen, would
not tell me the truth, and certainly not the whole truth, and so I would not
take their views into consideration. For that reason I would be very
suspicious of the views of Micro$oft and of the views of a Micro$oft MVP
such as yourself when deciding whether to purchase one of their products,
and I would not believe what they told me, just as I do not believe you.

Mike

Timothy Casey

vanderghast said:
Yes, assuming this person is likely aware that you will ***continue*** to
buy, from him/her, in two years, that person is unlikely to boldly lie to
you. Eh, by the way, is making money a sin?

I fired two ISPs in a row before winding up with my present service - and
and I fired them both for the same reason. Their call centre technicians
*boldly* and brazenly lied to me thinking I'd never bother to check. I
always check, and because lying doesn't fix any real world problems, that
put them in breach of contract which I successfully terminated out of court,
in both instances.

Many people really *are* stupid enough to lie to you about well known and
easily verifiable facts - especially when you are only a customer of their
customer. Enough to make it highly likely.

Always check the facts for yourself. After all,
It is only human nature to make all kinds of misteaks!

And no, making money is _not_ a "sin" - it is exclusively *how*
you treat others in the process of making your money, that counts.

Mike Williams

Sure, sure, there are sales person having no kind of remorse
to lie to you, that does not mean any sales person is.

No, not all salesmen will lie to you, but many of them will. The fact that
they are trying to sell you something makes it more likely that they will
lie to you than somebody who is not trying to sell you something. If you
don't understand that, which by your statements you clearly don't, then you
don't understand very much at all about human nature and you are a
salesman's wet dream, which is why I called you a little pussy.
Eh, by the way, is making money a sin?

That depends on how you make it. Making money is not in itself a sin, but
the act of making it often can be. There are people and companies who will
sink to very low depths in order to increase their profits and who are
prepared to do almost anything today in order to increase their power
tomorrow. In fact some companies, or at the very least some of their top
level employees, appear to be quite happy to behave like corporate gangsters
in their lust for power and profit.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/mana...public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124&pn=1

Mike

Sanders Kaufman

Mike said:
Sanders Kaufman wrote:

It only works against people who use their (or a real) email address here.
Look at mime! <g>

You're looking at it from the perspective of a victim.
If you eschew the victim mentality, you won't feel the need to cower behind
Internet anonymity before.

..