Visual C++ 1.5 and Win2K

ThM

Hi,

I'd like to know if Visual C++ 1.5/1.52 (old 1993 version !) is Win 2K
compatible.
If so, is there any ressource where I can buy/download this version ?
Many thanks

jacob navia

ThM a écrit :
Hi,

I'd like to know if Visual C++ 1.5/1.52 (old 1993 version !) is Win 2K
compatible.
If so, is there any ressource where I can buy/download this version ?
Many thanks
In 1993 there wasn't any 32 bit microsoft windows system.
Programs compiled with this compiler *may* load under
the windows 2000 emulation layer for 16 bit programs
and *may* produce correct results.

You can buy this version from
http://www.greenleafsoft.com/CommPP/CommPPProductDownloads.asp

ThM

In fact, our 16-bits application already works under Win2 without problem.
We only want to migrate our developpement platform from Win98 to Win2K.
We currently use Visual C++ 1.0, which doesn't work under Win2K. Visual C++
1.5 is supposed to. As it is a very complex application, it would be
difficult to use another compiler.
Thank you for your answer

Flash Gordon

ThM said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if Visual C++ 1.5/1.52 (old 1993 version !) is Win 2K
compatible.
If so, is there any ressource where I can buy/download this version ?
Many thanks

Ask on a Windows group. However, you might want to consider porting your
code to a more modern version such as that MS have available for free
download.

jacob navia

ThM a écrit :
In fact, our 16-bits application already works under Win2 without problem.
We only want to migrate our developpement platform from Win98 to Win2K.
We currently use Visual C++ 1.0, which doesn't work under Win2K. Visual C++
1.5 is supposed to. As it is a very complex application, it would be
difficult to use another compiler.
Thank you for your answer

Hanging on to absolete compilers and tools is like drug addiction.
The longer you go on with it the more difficult is to get rid of them.

jmcgill

jacob said:
Hanging on to absolete compilers and tools is like drug addiction.
The longer you go on with it the more difficult is to get rid of them.

Eventually your entire business unit goes away, and complete
replacements for your product are sourced from someone who adapted
to the 21st Century.

Skarmander

ThM said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if Visual C++ 1.5/1.52 (old 1993 version !) is Win 2K
compatible.
If so, is there any ressource where I can buy/download this version ?
Many thanks
Way, way back in 1996 I already had difficulty getting my hands on a copy of
VC++ 1.52, to write an app that would run on Windows 3.1. (I would later
find out that as far as my employer was concerned, I could have used Delphi,
at which point I slapped myself.)

It's 2006 now, and Visual C++ is at version 8.0. If I were you, I'd stop
looking for outdated and unsupported development environments and start
porting my application (which is really not as hard as you think --
Microsoft has provided ample information; search the MSDN).

If you can't afford to port it, then you probably can't afford to change it
in the first place. In which case, just keep it doing whatever it does and
pray it keeps running in newer versions of Windows.

S.

Richard Heathfield

ThM said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if Visual C++ 1.5/1.52 (old 1993 version !) is Win 2K
compatible.
Yes.

If so, is there any ressource where I can buy/download this version ?

As I have said before in clc (at least twice in the last few years!), my
original CD-ROM is available for sale at the bargain price of one million
pounds sterling. And /one/ day, someone will think it a price worth paying!

goose

Skarmander wrote:
would later find out that as far as my employer was concerned, I could
have used Delphi, at which point I slapped myself.)

If I were you I would've smacked the employer; its
true that it's your fault for not finding out but
the boss generally *doesn't* know that it's your
fault :)

goose,

Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It Ain't Dead Yet

(some of) You poor sick f^&ks! You have no idea about the real world! We have dozens of (third world) customers running thousands of PCs with DOS 6.x. They can not just run out and replace all that gear AND buy new software AND deploy it. Ever heard of TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP?
SO, we have to deal with it, or go out of business (BTW we are a $18 Billion company with 25,000 employees wordwide - thankfully not entirely dependent on those DOS $). They are not running our code, but we have to integrate with theirs and as such need 16 bit compilers (freely available btw from microsoft). Just this week I had to write a TSR for one of those systems. SO IT AIN'T DEAD YET!

Chuck